Mental Health Forums

Quick Question: Effexor

JTBadBug

I am just starting on this medication...I am on the slow release capsule...it says to be taken either morning or night...just wondered if people had found a preference to taking it in a morning rather than evening - or vice versa.

According to the Physician's Desk Reference, it doesn't matter when you take it as long as you take it at the same time each day. My advice is take it when your pdoc said to take it. If he didn't prescribe a time, then take it when it's most convenient to remember. For example I have a terrible time remembering to take my meds at night, but have a much easier time including them in my morning routine. Whatever suits you. Be sure to take it with food if you can, so if you're going to take it in the evening have it with dinner or a snack. When I was on it I took it with breakfast.

With me, I have to find out if it makes me sleepy or amps me up. I talk to my Doctor about it after I find out (by trail and error). Effexor, when I took it, made me feel very wired. There was no way I could take it at night. I would take it how your doc rx'd it, and if there are any problems with it making you to dopey or the opposite, then talk to your doc about switching when you take it.

I think you are right Kay. I am taking it at night because I was worried in case it caused any problems with driving, but, I am struggling to sleep. I could not sleep before though either and I have found that while I am not sleeping well I am a lot calmer in bed and do feel relaxed...just awake. If I stay awake all night tonight too then I shall have to try it on a morning.

Thanks for everyones comments.

Jane :)

I take mine in the morning, it doesn't have any side affects like that on me that I notice...a lot of times I forget to take it though, then I just take it when I remember...take care

I have taken it the past couple of mornings and I have to agree with you Dreamer, it does not seem to have affected me much and I have managed to get a bit more sleep on the night.

I hope this is going to be my magic pill...the one that makes me feel better.

Hey Jane

I was on that I took it at night. it was the best anti depressent I have ever had. Had to come off it as it made me have hypertension and tachycardia.

Keep an eye on your blood pressure well on it hun. Good luck

sunshinex

Hey Jane

I was on that I took it at night. it was the best anti depressent I have ever had. Had to come off it as it made me have hypertension and tachycardia.

Keep an eye on your blood pressure well on it hun. Good luck

sunshinex

Cheers Sunshine,

I did read that it can raise blood pressure, but, I usually have low blood pressure so I am hoping that at most it would raise it to normal if it did do anything. I know the side affects have been nothing like when I started on Mirtazapine, so hopefully I shall get on better with this one...I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Take care, Jane x

I've been on efexor since april, for anxiety problems, it messed me up for about 3 weeks, but now its virtually stoped the anxiety, i take it every morning. but be warned, about 3 weeks ago i got careless about taking it missing doses and taking at all times, and i went a bit funny and had to take 2 weeks off work!!! but am feeling better now, i just hope that when i come off it the problems wont come back!!

Hi Sunshine,

It is doing ok. There are little side effects and by taking the pill on a morning is does not stop me from sleeping. I am in the middle of a good spell, I have been on the tablets for nearly 3 weeks and my better mood has been with me for a week or two now...i do know though that I am usually quite cyclic in my moods so I shall have to see how I go for the next few weeks. The first signs of me dipping are usually agitation and this last week I have been increasingly agitated...usually when agitation peaks it drops into deep depression so lets hope this cycle will be different.

How are you? and thank you for asking about how I am doing - it means a lot.

((((((sunshine)))))))

Jane x

The withdrawal symptoms are horrible with effexor.

There's an online petition somewhere trying to get it banned.

I was on it for a while, and i kept getting like electric shocks through my head, which i found out it a withdrawal symptom.

I am just starting on this medication...I am on the slow release capsule...it says to be taken either morning or night...just wondered if people had found a preference to taking it in a morning rather than evening - or vice versa.

im on effexor 75mg am and 150mg pm,psychiatrist advised me to take larger dose before bed because its makes you drowsey and can help you sleep.

takecare

I was on these the last time i visited the doctors.

Took them in the morning.

Rarely slept or ate, and was like i was on legal ecstasy, i had the determination and the energy to do anything and everything, was very weird. :rolleyes:

Hi there, I was on 675mg in two divided doses, morning and night (300mg mane, 375mg nocte). The drug didn't make me drowsy at all it seems and I was also given benzos to aid in sleep.

I was on these the last time i visited the doctors.

Took them in the morning.

Rarely slept or ate, and was like i was on legal ecstasy, i had the determination and the energy to do anything and everything, was very weird. :rolleyes:

That sounds familiar...I love the fact that I am not hungry much...I put loads of weight on with my last medication and now this one is helping me lose it. I am struggling to sleep but I was even worse before I started this stuff. I am quite happy with it at the moment...and if I stay on a low dose I won't mind...it has been ages since I felt this stable.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jane x

Archived