Mental Health Forums

Abilify? Anyone Been On It?

Pebble_4444

Hi,

I have been taking abilify (aripiprazole) for about 4 weeks now. I took it last year for 8 weeks but then stopped because it made no difference to my depression, OCD or BPD symptoms. I now have a new doctor and he asked me to try it again for a while at a higher dose. so i did...it still hasnt made any difference to my mood and actually keeps me up all night, but i am reluctant to ask to stop it because it helps keep my weight down and am borderline anorexia. i know this is a stupid reason to keep on with it but i really need to know if anyone has found it helps their mood at all. if not then i may have to ask to stop and risk getting one which puts tonnes of weight on.

I know alot of you will be thinking this is warped thinking and i shouldnt put my health at risk by trying to stay thin, but from where im coming from this is a big deal to me and i would really appreciate your opinions and thoughts...please. im very confused and frustrated right now. :unsure:

katie

xxxx

But do you think i should keep trying it for longer than i have done. iv been taking it for 4 weeks. how long before it should kick in if its going to?

Katie XXXX

Hey Katie,

I think it could take up to 8 weeks before it kicks in, I could be wrong, I am trying to remember. Are you finding it is helping at all?

sunshinex

my cpn seems to think it doesn't help bpd symptoms, so i never tried it. she said it is a stimulant so thats why it is keeping you awake.. i am on a low dose seroquel and its not too bad weight gain at low doses. hugs, ivy x

• 2 weeks later...

Abilify is actually an anti psychotic that also helps with leveling out moods, so it can make you more balanced.

However and I am not a doc but if you feel depressed lots maybe you would benefit more from an anti depressant.

I´d give a few more weeks it really should be working by then and if it is not doing anything for you I suggest you go back to your doc and discuss it. What do you think??

Don´t distress just yet it might still kick in and also sometimes you have to try a few different meds before you find something that works for you.

It took me a while to find what worked for me but when I did it made all the difference. So to me its worth to try and give these things a go.

As for your weight, I dont have to tell you its unhealthy to take something just because it helps to control your weight.

Do you want to work on your eating disorder? Have you discussed it with your doc??

I used to be anorexic and at that time it didnt matter what people said to me I just wanted to be as thin as possible. But you know since I got out of that mode and when I think back Im happy Im not there anymore. When you eat little, you get really depressed it really doesnt help your mood and youre so blurry all the time.

Life is great really being in it I feel when you don´t eat properly youre more like a zombi which is no way of living.

Lilly

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya, I've been on it for three months along with fluoxetine and it's made tons of difference in both my mood and psychotic episodes. The losing weight thing is good for me though, because I used to be anorexic and am now quite overweight, and my doctor is always nagging me about it! I'd persevere with it, as all the others have said, it does take a while to kick in, but then again, it doesn't suit everyone. The first time I tried it I had horrible side effects, but this time it's kinda hit the nail on the head, so to speak! x

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I have been on Abilify ( Low Dose 5mg) for over a year and it seemed to work for me. I'm also on an antidepressant. Abilify is extremely expensive for me. I tried Seroquel, and Risperdal, and they didn't seem to work as well. I didn't experience any weight loss though on Abilify. It used to keep me awake too, so now I take it in the morning.

i was on it for 10 months to try to treat my psycotic symptoms it did fuck all apart from i lost loadsa weight so its not all bad hehe , wen i was on it i got almost as ill as i was b4 i got put on anti psycotics 9 years ago

Archived