Mental Health Forums

Depression And Pain

Kartil

I have had endometriosis(womans problems for those of you who never heard of it) for a number of years but the last few weeks the pain has got to a point where it is now interupting my normal life and as the pain gets worse my depression now seems to be getting worse agian too. Had been feeeling quite good the last couple of months but now seem to going backwards. I just feel this pain is taking over my life, despite me trying to carry on as normal it is impossible. I know I have to have surgery and this is realy freaking me out, just the thought of it brings me to tears. My gp wanted to increase antidepressants last week but I said would rather wait and see if its necessary, last time odse was increased felt awful. I just dont know wear to turn next, the pain is so horrendous at the moment.

Sorry to keep moaning on but noone here seems to understand how I feel at the moment.

Take care every one.

Karen

Hi Karen

(((((((((hugs)))))))))))

I really hope the pain gets better for you. These things always happen together- don't know if the pain makes people depressed, or depression just makes everything feel worse- it's horrible anyway! Things can and will get better, keep hanging on in there, (don't mean to sound patronising!), we are all here to understand and support you.

Take care

Kitty xx

Sorry the depression seems worse, I think sometimes when your coping, it only needs a little something to bring the feelings back. I know it has done for me.

I suppose things you learned when you was at your worst when depressed, you need to put them into practice again. You did it before so you can do it again.

Just try to put into practice everything you learned before, yes I am making it sound easy and i know it is far from that. I do believe you can do it again, especially by your comment about increwasing your antis depressants, I wish i could have had your theory, but I gave in.

Pain has got to be the worst. Whether its physical or any other pain. Are they giving you pain meds? I think that that is what needs to be increased if nothing else is helping. Pain management is important, there is no reason why you should be in so much pain. Please talk to your GP about that.

As for the pain making you depressed, its a known fact that illness will exacerbate depression. Its the chicken and the egg theory. I have anemia, that is known to make ones depression worse, in fact its a symptom of anemia. When I have been in psych hospitals they have told me that they cant treat the depression until the anemia is taken care of. Made me hopping mad.

What kind of surgery do they want you to have? If it decreased my pain, I think I would go for it. Talk to your doc about whether it would decrease your pain, I think thats an important thing to know.

I have some personal knowledge of gynecological procedures, if you want to talk about it please contact me. I would be glad to help.

Take care

Wabbit

dont they remove or thin out the scar tissue on the endometrial lining, caused by the endometriosis hence attempting to reduce the pain. as scar tissue is the cause of the pain. unfortuatley most pain killers dont usually work for this kind of pain. its like a severe period cramp, but multiplied by 1000. Its got to be the worst kind of pain, and i have not given birth but at least thats only temp for a few hours lol and once a year. this is constant, monthly.

depression and pain do go together aswell, try some self talk, i know its damn hard, i had a serious back injury years ago that stopped a national sporting career. i became very depressed, i tried to find ways around it. like trying to do my exams sitting in different chairs, resting a lot, stretching etc. i know endo is a lot diff, but a pain management clinic may be a good place to begin. they do this with and without drugs and are very beneficial.

i hope that i have beeen of some use. if not i apologise.

Archived