Mental Health Forums

What Accent Do You Have?

Lauren

I allways thought and have been told that I have a 'news reading' accent. Polite, calm and grrr kinda posh at times lol. (I am from the south east, Cambridge way)

But some charming so and so here said I sounded 'right common' lol so im interested to hear how you think you sound?

I have a cross between a British (Hampshire) accent and a American New York one. I can switch them on and off too. People have told me when I get excited, angry, or upset I start to sound British.

Hee hee!

I have a soft Bristolian accent mixed with a general british non accent, which sometimes becomes very Bristolian when cross!!

By the way a Bristol accent sounds very 'west country'.

like a Farmer!!!

x

Having been born and raised in Wisconsin, I feel I have no accent at all and speak perfectly. When you live in Dane County, Wisconsin, you are told that you are living in the best county in the best state in the best country in the world. It was a rude awakening to learn it wasn't necessarily true.

I used to have a really strong Scouse accent, but that's gradually fading away (though am determined not to start speaking like a Widnesean!!!lol) I dunno, I don't really have an accent, I don't think :huh:

I have a regular midwestern accent, no twangy southern, and I also have been told I have an italian accent at times especially when i say italian words or names or the way I pronounce stuff at times since I have sicilian in me (also irish and sylvanian, but my italian sticks most out)

I confuse people! I don't really have one...Was born in SE London end of Kent, was at Uni in Lincoln and Hull, lived in Kent for 5 years, near Chatham, and picked up a Chatham accent(more London than London!)then lived in London since 2000. Was in East End for 3 years but didn't pick it up. Now I'm in the 'posh' end of London (well, near Kilburn!) and well, dunno!

In Canada once an English person thought I was Australian????!!!!????

And when I was a little kid I apparantl spoke with a Welsh accent at times! (my Grandma was Welsh)

So, take our pick!

lorna

i dont think i have an accent, coming from reading

but a guy from "up north" as we say down here

once said i had a "reading accent" lol

didnt know there was one

Heh...I was just at the BBC (Brit-Born Chinese) forum and someone posted the exact same question there too...Is this some new obsession of ours? harhar.gif

Most people have identified it as a strong Southern accent (Londonish)...I have been told that I can sound rather posh at times (which sometimes makes me come across as a snob to some people), although I do swallow my 't's every now and then when I get excited...or when trying to be funny (have a tendency to say 'innit'...makes David laugh)...Even though I was born in London (Islington), I have lived all over the place, so discerning listeners can also detect a slight twang of something else...sort of American-ish, cross-atlantic (although someone over the phone was under the impression that I was South-African...But he works at the Jobcentre, and they all drink a little too much coffee there. It's the stress, you see)...I think it's pretty cool that my accent reflects my mixed background and the fact that I've been around, especially when you take into account today's multi-cultural society.

I am well spoken apparently - not bad considering I come from Kent!!!! But having lived in Camberwell for 4 yrs on and off can slip into inner-city speak with lot's of innits? thrown in for good measure!

I love accents tho!!!! Maybe cos I don't have an interesting one...

Punk Princess - scouse is my fave!!!!! So cheeky... Used to have family up there and am still a Liverpool fan :)

Claire - I used to live in Bristol - loved the accent but most people there didn't seem to have it!

lille_eskimit - Shouldn't that be Engwish? :P And here was me thinking you'd have an 'Eye By Gum' Lancashire accent like my gran! :P

lille_eskimit - Shouldn't that be Engwish?

Depends on where you come from...some may pronounce it 'engrish'...LOL...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that when they are angry? You were too quick! Ammended my post!

Nope...only if they are from South East Asia, and if their English is bad enough...at least that's what I have noticed...

Nope...only if they are from South East Asia, and if their English is bad enough...at least that's what I have noticed...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Youse nose best...

Got chatting to a couple of Chinese girls last night and was convinced they were BBCs but turns out they were fresh over from HOng Kong - seriously good Engrish

There are a lot of Brit schools in HK, which is possibly where they picked up the accent...Some Singaporeans and Malaysians speak really good English too...even better than Brits themselves...Mind you, English is the first language in Singapore...

Archived