Mental Health Forums

What Accent Do You Have?

Lauren

My parents have a beach apartment in Penang, kind of in the nature of a holiday retreat...Really nice there...It's near Batu Ferringhi, which is a tourist beauty spot swept away by the recent tsunami...our home is just down the road from there, but managed to escape it. Phew!

I have absolutely no idea what a Lincolnshire accent is, we pronounce our 'a's funny, I know that.

I've been told I sound slightly french by some people, odd.

my mum did a good imitation of a Lincolnshire accent, well, she thought it was good! lots of 'ducks' in it--terms of endearment...

chimpy, what's this about KENT, heh? Depends where dunnit?! I was born in outer suburbia but gravitated to medway--its all kinda different like. In Cha-um it was all "goin down the town" sorta.(can't put it exactly in writing)

?

lorna

People have asked me if I was from Belfast, the south(in America) and Australia. I do love the Northern Irish accent though.

Ooh...I just love the Irish Brogue...My aunt's Irish, but her accent's not all that strong...Her parents, on the other hand... :)

I could listen to that lilt all day! Lalala... :P

i talk out my arsehole. so its a 'crap' accent. :P

anyway. i find my accent changes depending on who im with. some people say i sound like im from up north somewhere but thats usually when i am in a cab.

i dunno. im weird.

my mum did a good imitation of a Lincolnshire accent, well, she thought it was good! lots of 'ducks' in it--terms of endearment...

chimpy, what's this about KENT, heh? Depends where dunnit?! I was born in outer suburbia but gravitated to medway--its all kinda different like. In Cha-um it was all "goin down the town" sorta.(can't put it exactly in writing)

?

lorna

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was born and raised in Canterbury - lots of chavvy people there too - but not as bad as the Medway towns!!! Just well spoken because my parents are well-spoken middle class types, innit?

My parents have a beach apartment in Penang, kind of in the nature of a holiday retreat...Really nice there...It's near Batu Ferringhi, which is a tourist beauty spot swept away by the recent tsunami...our home is just down the road from there, but managed to escape it. Phew!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that sounds amazing! When I came back home after graduating from university in 1998,my parents announced they were going to live in Malaysia and I could stay in their house with my lil sis if I wanted. That's so the wrong way round - it should have been me moving out! I moved to London quite soon after but did go out to Malaysia with an ex-gf. Stayed with my folks in KL for a few days - just great to be in a condo with a communal pool - got v sunburned tho... Then went to Penang - which was nice but too many jellyfish - and then onto Langkawi which was amazing!!! A real tropical paradise and went snorkelling on a coral reef and saw sharks... Was so beautiful, I wish that day could have lasted forever...

I was born and raised in Canterbury - lots of chavvy people there too - but not as bad as the Medway towns!!!

Oh dear...we're not gonna start chav bashing now, are we? :rolleyes:

I was born and raised in Canterbury - lots of chavvy people there too - but not as bad as the Medway towns!!!

Oh dear...we're not gonna start chav bashing now, are we? :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would never dare bash a chav unless they were really small and weedy ;)

Just grab a gun and shoot them all...LOL... sterb026.gif

Blackpool's the ultimate chav central...it's just swarming with nasty, abusive, violent, inconsiderate, ignorant scum!!! Grrr... :angry:

i don't have an accent. i used to. i come from rugby where we drop our ts a lot. sounded a bit like i came from south london. :) lived in walsall for 7 months and went back to rugby with a black country accent for a while. i practised on getting rid of my accent and no one can figure where i come from! they say ey up where i live now, and i say hello instead or hi.

I'm from the South cotswolds and as such I have a really odd mix of accents... I picked up farmer speak from my Dad (who's cotswolds born and bred) and from some of the people around me.... but then again my Mum's from Hertfordshire and moved round a lot so she doesn't have an accent really so a lot of the time I dont seem to either. I use some Northern and some Kentish slang, but never really sounded as though I was from Newky or Kent. Strange mix, me!

And as for the Malay thread here... one of my best friends is from Malaysia and moved here with her family to do her GCSE's. She managed to pass all her exams and got a higher english grade than one of my British friends! Her english is really good... except she struggles with 'he' and 'she', mixes them up and causes a lot of amusement for people who don't know her!

burberry cap + tracksuit = chav

Usually rather nasty people...the younger ones tend to enjoy setting fire to their neighbours' doormats, tormenting your pets and scratching your lovely automobile...The female ones are just as bad...really loud people who hang around corner shops and phone boxes (and vandalising them) because they have nothing else better to do...There's a site about them, but can't remember the url...It'll prolly show up if you do a google though.

i talk out my arsehole. so its a 'crap' accent.  :P

anyway. i find my accent changes depending on who im with. some people say i sound like im from up north somewhere but thats usually when i am in a cab.

i dunno. im weird.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mum does the accent change in restaurants ie when giving her order to a waiter in an Indian restaurant or asking about an item on the menu she ' ll talk in a 'It ain't half hot Mum' Indian speaking English accent!

It is so embarrassing!

Archived