Sh Scars & Questions **trigger**

rachel100

**TRIGGER** SCAR QUESTIONS  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• What have you been asked?
    • What do you say?

Hi everyone

Recently I started a new job with the 'normal people'!! I have oldish scars on my arms including the word DIE and am dreading the moment when I am asked what are they and worse maybe directly asked if they are from SH.

I wear long sleeves to work to cover them, but have to pull sleeves up to do dishes or help bath the residents, so cannot keep them covered all the time.

What do you do?

How do you feel?

What have you been asked?

What do you say?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just say " that was in anotherlife".... and dont answer any other questions.you would be suprised just how LOUD silence can sound in the right situation. I was a nurse in another life, so trust me when I say that. Peoplewill leave you alone and you will either be mysteroous, or friendly and either way it will fade fast.

Hi everyone

Recently I started a new job with the 'normal people'!! I have oldish scars on my arms including the word DIE and am dreading the moment when I am asked what are they and worse maybe directly asked if they are from SH.

I wear long sleeves to work to cover them, but have to pull sleeves up to do dishes or help bath the residents, so cannot keep them covered all the time.

What do you do?

How do you feel?

What have you been asked?

What do you say?

I cover up as much as possible but yeah there are times you have to pull up your sleeves.

I've had people ask me "was that a burn?" (it was) and I just said "yes" and pulled my sleeve back down.

I've also said "yes but it's healed now" or "yes but it';s no longer an issue"

If they ask "how did you do that" I say "I cut myself" (people usually don't think it's deliberate.) or Injured myself or "I fell" (which isn't far from the truth I did fall from grace). or ive said "Oh me being a silly idiot" (once to a nurse) or other things like "a moment of anxiety" (if I trust the person with that info)

but if I really don't want them to know anything I just say "I fell" or "I slipped" leaving out the words (with a knife) and leave it at that. if they pry for more questions I say "I would rather not discuss it" and people DO leave you alone.

if they say "what's that" I say a scar and pull down my sleeve.

I've had one person remark on an obvious self harm with shock and surprise which made me quite uncomfortable but I just remained silent while they expressed thier shock to me.

silence really is golden.

paine.

Remember this line:

Why would you ask such a personal question........pause

then ask when was the last time you had sex!!!!!!!

Hey it shuts them up.

March

luckly i dont really have scars on show as i avoid arms pretty much at all costs. However when i have done it on arm i have blamed the cats (sclaw clipping day) or that im a clumsy bugger (aint far from truth and anyone who asks will know that) But yeah the gernal i cut myself or burnt myself works, its truth without being whole truth. People dont tend to follow it up with but how did you cut yourself. They tend to think its accident and be done with it.

i always wear long sleeves so don't come across this situation much and if i have to wear short sleeves i have some camouflage stuff which i put on and people don't tend to notice but when someone has asked i usually say its a long story and leave it at that they don't tend to ask anything after that.

• 1 month later...

if an adult asks i just tell teh truth, if a kid asks (which has only happened twice) i make up some weird and wonderful story

I tend to do it the other way around.

I wear long sleves

even if im like washing dishes. I just let my sleves get wet.

last time I was asked about my scars I didnt actually know what to say

it was so embarsing

I was like ummmmmmmm

and then walked off

:unsure:

I've been lucky, the majority of people who have spotted my scars react by pulling up their sleeves and showing me THEIRS.

I actually got chucked off a teaching degree for self-harming. That was horrible discrimination and I wish I'd fought more. They told me i might be a danger to children FFS. It's all because of the Clothier report - the report that was produced after Nurse Beverly Allitt killed those kids in hospital. Because SHE self-harmed the government recommended that those who self-harm should not be teachers or nurses.

On the rare occasions people want to know about them, I say they are associated with a bad memory, a non-specific accident and I don't want to talk about it. We are all allowed some measure of privacy after all.

There's a hell of a lot of self-harm in the music scene. Show me a singer songwriter and 75% have some kind of self-harm history. Self harm in the form of words must be very tricky to hide - say you used to be a Punk or something!

I haven't been asked for a long time but I would tell people they were caused by a cat.

I've always worked in a professional environment so when I struggled I would self harm mentally rather than physically.

not much advice mine are really bad(need orerations 8 times) but not self harmed with cutting for 7 years the scars are bad but have faded if you no longer sh ur gp can refer u for camoflage make up if u r sheer cover make up completely covers and is water proofbit hard to apply but when u r used to it takes 2 min

I've thought about saying mine were surgeries to remove skin cancer but I hate to lie....

I just wear long sleeves and short around the house only.

PW.

I haven't been asked for a long time but I would tell people they were caused by a cat.

I've always worked in a professional environment so when I struggled I would self harm mentally rather than physically.

i also use the cat one, my poor little Bailey gets the blame!!!

only a few people know the truth, easier that way

It was quite sad my little 11 yr old brother walked into my bedroom n saw my leg. he asked me what had happened n I was so upset he'd seen it I said. It doesn't matter.I couldn't even make up a story I was so shocked. When people ask me I usually say it doesn't matter or I dont wanna talk about it cause I dont believe it is their business to know. I wont go swimming anymore although I loved it because of my legs. Its shameful when people look but Im not usually ashamed of it until people stare n make me feel abnormal. x

Archived