Mental Health Forums

Sh Scars & Questions **trigger**

rachel100

**TRIGGER** SCAR QUESTIONS  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do?

• What have you been asked?
    • What do you say?

I've never used bio oil but I've found E45 and evening primrose oil moisturisers helpful in the past too, moisture and massage really help =]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i've bought some bio oil which i'm going to use on my smaller scars and also some silicone gel (£30 ouch) which i will keep for the humungous ugly one on my arm. Will let you know the results.

The Bio oil (or as I call it B.O oil) should work pretty well on smaller scar - have found that it has lightened some of mine and I dont use it that often. Didnt realise at first, but you can apparantly put it in the bath which is quite a good idea if you (like me) sometimes cant be arsed to rub it in.

Wow - silicone gel is a tad expensive!! I have a couple of raised scars which reallllllly annoy me - do you reckon it might work on it??

xx

well i've bought some bio oil which i'm going to use on my smaller scars and also some silicone gel (£30 ouch) which i will keep for the humungous ugly one on my arm. Will let you know the results.

What silicone gel did you get Yorkie? Good luck with it.

I think so Skylace.

I got it from Boots. It was security protected so obviously all us naughty bpd'ers have been pinching the stuff lol. It's called Dermatix and I have to apply it every 12 hours for 8 weeks.

They did also have Boots own silicone patches for £20 and elastoplast ones for £24 but being big I tend to get hot and plasters always fall off.

Applying the gel is slightly tricky because you only need a tiny amount.

It's helping my urges a little, because i get to concentrate on my scars whilst i do it and the gel makes it stand out more until it dries so i sort of get my fix.

Oh right, I didn't realise they sold it on the shelves at Boots, I get it on prescription. You'll get the knack of applying it :)

• 1 month later...

Bugger my GP, i went to him last year to ask what could be done to help the appearance of my scars, some of the them are the big nasty raised ones, and he told me the only thing that could be done is a skin graft! I'm off to boots when i next get a chance, the silicone gel sounds like the stuff i need.

Bugger my GP, i went to him last year to ask what could be done to help the appearance of my scars, some of the them are the big nasty raised ones, and he told me the only thing that could be done is a skin graft! I'm off to boots when i next get a chance, the silicone gel sounds like the stuff i need.

You could try asking him again? Say you've heard of it and it's available on prescription? It might not have been available on prescription when you asked. Good luck either way.

I have found Bio-Oil has really helped my scars.

I am amazed that so many people comment on my scars, I don't hide them, except when I am around kids, then I use concealer. When pushed I say to kids, "I fell over". Adults I either stare at them and say nothing, way to look sane, or I say "Another life".

It is very rude, I would never say to someone, "How did your nose get so large". Hmm, maybe not the best example, but you know what I mean!

Fairy xxx

• 2 weeks later...

I only have one on my arm, and it is a burn scar so it looks like some strange growth (one of those raised type scars). I have only been ask on VERY rare occasions, and I just say I burned myself. I don't go into detail if it was on purpose or not, I just say "Oh, its a scar from a burn..."

Rather than that, no one asks because you can't see any of my other scars well enough. Thankfully, they have all faded and/or are in places that people normally don't look (leg, stomach).

I'm thankful that I have recovered from SH with little or no permanent damage to my skin. Thankfully.

I have heard of some really funny remarks you can say to people when they ask about scars though, like "Damn cat..." or "Oh, that was just me taking the turkey out of the oven withOUT the pot holders again!"

well i have been using the silicone gel for over a month now. i've noticed the scar is slightly less raised but it's still itchy as hell and hurts on occasion. it is too soon to be expecting any major results though. I'm having to cover up because i have a new one which is very obviously a self harm scar (the position gives it away) but hopefully that one will fade quickly as i've used the gel on it from the outset.

Archived