Mental Health Forums

Lorazepam

twilight

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone out there can help. I'm really low and anxious at the moment and I've been given lorazepam to help. I started off just using them occasionally because I know they are very addictive. But...been feeling awful and I kinda of keep wanting to take them more and more. I know from when I was in hospital that they are a bugger to come off and I didn't want to rely on them but I'm finding it hard.

Just wondered if anyone else takes it or knows anything about it or can give me some advice. Thanks :unsure::(

Twilight xx

hey twighlight, sorry you are feeling anxious and low atm, but before you start taking more meds i suggest that you speak to your medical team.

Have you tried any relaxation methods, or doing something to calm your thoughts. what would you normally do other than take meds? take a bath, eat some chocolate, go for a walk/run, watch a movie, play a game online, try something that may make you feel good about yourself and at the same time take your mind off what may be making you feel anxious.

good luck and please speak to your medical team.

Hi ragdoll, thanks for the reply. You're right, I need to talk to them before I start taking more, its just very tempting. :unsure:

I have tried doing stuff to relax but find it extremely difficult. My occupational therapist has made me a relaxation tape which helps a bit.

Ummmm...eating chocolate sounds good though!! :P

Thanks again

Twilight xx

Exercise usually qwells some feelings of anxiety. What about writing in a journal and trying to put words on why you are feeling anxious?

Ragdoll was right, talking to your medical team is a good thing. This may even instill in your medical team that you are being responsible about your meds.

The other thing abot lorazepam, or ativan, which is its other name is that it only has a half life of about 4 hours, which means after 4 hours the effect will lessen, and it doesnt stay in your system like a drug like prozac which can stay in your system for upto a week after you have stopped taking it.

Talk to the prescriber, they might want to give you something stronger and less sedating and less addictive. Ask her about Klonopin. I have heard it is a great drug for anxiety, and it can be taken on an as needed basis, just like ativan.

Best of luck

Wabbit

Thanks for you reply wabbit.

Thats a good point u make about the lorazepam lasting about 4 hours, I knew it didn't last long but wasn't sure how long.

I'll ask about Klonopin at my next appt, thanks. Writing a journal is a good idea, my OT says I need to think about what is making me anxious so this should help.

Thanks again, hugs :P

I hear ya! i was on Lorazapam 10 years ago for my anxiety attacks. After awhile they went away, and I came off of them. I didn't like the spacey dizzy way they made me feel, but they did calm me down, and I didn't get addicted. Here is a funny story for you, when I went on a plane to fly to where i am now, I took 2 doses for my fear, and they DIDN"T work!!I was THAT nervous! after I got off the plane I crashed for 18 hrs! :P

Anyway, yes yes yes ~ CHOCOLATE ALL THE WAY!!!!! I swear, eating a chocolate bar or a pack of chocolate cookies calms me down!!! Bubble baths while eating chocolate is even better, praying, watching something funny on tv, and gossip mags are good to get my mind off of myself. When I get anxious while trying to fall asleep, I try to remember all the names of the contestants in my favorite reality show, or soap, or whatever, it just gets my mind off of things. Breaks the spinning wheel so to speak.

Walking, or better, doing PILATES is amazing~ you feel so healthy after a damn good stretch. Hope it helps!!!!

:)

Hi Song, thanks for your reply, you've got some good advice up your sleeve!!

I'm not surprised you crashed after that flight, two in one go, and them not working!! :rolleyes:

Glad you agree about chocolate!!! :D Remembering names is a good idea to try and get to sleep, its good to take your mind off things isn't it.

Hhmmmmm...pilates is a good idea, something I meant to start a while back but never did. I'll have to investigate!

Take care :)

• 2 weeks later...

can you not ask for somthinbg else? anti psychotics are also used for anxiety and have the same effect as lorz, i was on that and yep its good, they wont prescribe for me out of hossy but the anti psy's help

love

lucy

Thanks Lucy, I didn't know that. I will ask my doc when I seem him...which reminds me....need more meds from him!!

Thanks, take care

Twilight xx

Archived