Mental Health Forums

?

mememe

I have noticed alot of people round here lately "self diagnosing" it really does worry me!!!

A psycatrist is really the only qualified person to tell you that you have bpd, untill then please dont put yourself through believing you may have bpd when you my not even have it!!!!!

sorry had to have my say on that 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

totally agree with you and it really drives me insane, the worst bit being when people say "i have just done an online test and it says..." AAARGH get a fucking grip u numpty!

It seems if you want to be accepted on this web site you have to be diagnosed with BPD... how dare you tell people go get a professional diagnosis from a doctor when some of us have a genuine fear of going and many of us fit the criteria, i mean would you not think 7 out of symptoms would suggest there is a very strong possibility that i have it also do you seriously think i want this idiotic illness,,,, oh and i have a grip thankyou

I thought this site was all about giving each other support and positive encouragement... well I feel really great right now thanks, ask for advice and get even more abuse.

If you think you are suffering from BPD or any other mental health problem, please seek professional help before jumping to conclusions x

Thank you aurorablues for being kind > will be going to the doctors about this have made an appointment will be going on thursday, was just asking for advice from people who I thought would be a little more sensitive towards people who are just starting out with the doctors, it must have been a turmoil for them also.

Thanks again for your support.

x

Hmm, I can see both point of views. I mean, if you see the BPD pattern you could very well have it.

I personally don't see how anyone could come to the conclusion they have Borderline Personality Disorder on their own. We live in a fucked up world, we have so many labels for everything. Even with a doctor telling me I have BPD I'm still not sure.

It seems if you want to be accepted on this web site you have to be diagnosed with BPD... how dare you tell people go get a professional diagnosis from a doctor when some of us have a genuine fear of going and many of us fit the criteria, i mean would you not think 7 out of symptoms would suggest there is a very strong possibility that i have it also do you seriously think i want this idiotic illness,,,, oh and i have a grip thankyou

I thought this site was all about giving each other support and positive encouragement... well I feel really great right now thanks, ask for advice and get even more abuse.

Juder, you are accepted here just as much as everyone else. It's good you are doing some research and have come on here to look for some answers. But ideally, the next step for you is to go to your GP with your worries and ask to be referred to a psychiatrist. Only then can you get to the bottom of your problems and get the right help for your needs.

Aurora x

Hi little.

This is what I am trying to put across about the doctor coming to the conclusion about this illness, which is so closely related to bipolar I mean how do the doctors really really know what the true diagnosis is without feeling it for them selves and yes this labelling can be a scary thing too, I dont really want to be stigmatised with having this illness, lets face it its hardly career material is it, I am having problems finding a job as it is and I know work will help me so much more, but hey , thats another story.

Thank you aurorablues for being kind > will be going to the doctors about this have made an appointment will be going on thursday, was just asking for advice from people who I thought would be a little more sensitive towards people who are just starting out with the doctors, it must have been a turmoil for them also.

Thanks again for your support.

x

I'm glad you have made an appointment to see your GP. Like i said in the previous post, your next step is to go to your doctors. Tell him/her everything about your concerns and tell him you found some stuff about BPD and you feel that it sounds quite similar to what's happening with you, and that you would like to be refered to a psychiatrist to get to the bottom of what your going through.

Hope this helps

Aurora x

juder, the point is that you are self diagnosing and that is very dangerous ground. youve made your own mind up what is wrong with you and heaven forbid a PROFESSIONAL might disagree with you

Yes it does help some thanks hon.... I just need to swallow my fear now and just face it hey,,, cos as I was trying to put across earlier,, its a bit of an issue, but face it i will cos i gotta get my husband back home dont i

xx

juder, the point is that you are self diagnosing and that is very dangerous ground. youve made your own mind up what is wrong with you and heaven forbid a PROFESSIONAL might disagree with you

I agree with Blade entirely, self diagnosing can be dangerous ground.

When you go to your GP and when you get to see a psychiatrist, i'd advise you to keep an open mind :)

Aurora x

I was convinced that I had bipolar2 so it was somewhat of a shock when I was diagnosed with BPD. Having said that, when I looked into it I was like wow! this is me after all. Saying that it took over a year of seeing my psych until I got the dx.

Ok auroa

Thanks for your help and your support, I understand it is dangerous ground self diagnosing and hope I am wrong with my suspicions which is all it is at the moment, a strong suspicion, I have been like this for like 28 years and have alsways been asking what in the hell is going on with my head, why do i keep pushing the best things in my life away, why is it i keep sabotaging all of my chances to be happy, why do i have thoughts of suicide all the time, why do i keep reaching out for company in order not to be alone, why do i have these angry out burst's, why am i getting angry for no apparent reason, why do i have many changing mood swings, why do i feel agitated for the tiniest reasons, why am i feeling as if i keep drifting in and out of this world, why did i kick my husband out of the house when i wanted him to stay, why, why, why, these have been going around inside of my head for 28 years as well as trying to hold myself together with memories of a very nastey childhood..... sorry for going on but I think you might know where i am coming from.

jude

x

totally agree with you and it really drives me insane, the worst bit being when people say "i have just done an online test and it says..." AAARGH get a fucking grip u numpty!

that wasnt a very supportive reply vorpalblade

numpty ??

online test ??

ok, so why has it affected you so badly ... to react in such a way

the question was ... BPD or not BPD, fair enough, and some ppl cant deal with things in ways that are prescribed to them, even knowing you have BPD, (label or otherwise) from a dr, or otherwise, doesnt change how you react and feel, it takes a long time to retrain how to respond ... i just thought, the negative NUMPTY and get a fucking ... grip, was a bit aggressive to say the least

but then i like la la fairy land "!!!!! lol

Ok auroa

Thanks for your help and your support, I understand it is dangerous ground self diagnosing and hope I am wrong with my suspicions which is all it is at the moment, a strong suspicion, I have been like this for like 28 years and have alsways been asking what in the hell is going on with my head, why do i keep pushing the best things in my life away, why is it i keep sabotaging all of my chances to be happy, why do i have thoughts of suicide all the time, why do i keep reaching out for company in order not to be alone, why do i have these angry out burst's, why am i getting angry for no apparent reason, why do i have many changing mood swings, why do i feel agitated for the tiniest reasons, why am i feeling as if i keep drifting in and out of this world, why did i kick my husband out of the house when i wanted him to stay, why, why, why, these have been going around inside of my head for 28 years as well as trying to hold myself together with memories of a very nastey childhood..... sorry for going on but I think you might know where i am coming from.

jude

x

No need to apologise, you're not going on at all. I think it is good you have recognised that you're on a very self destructive path. For me personally, it was this initial realisation that pushed me to going to see my GP. It's a hard thing to accept that you need help sometimes, but be proud of yourself for realising it and making the decision to go and see your doctor. I definately think you would benefit from some sort of therapy. Discuss this on Thursday with your GP.

Aurora x

I don't think anyone actually has BPD until they are diagnosed by a professional psychiatrist with it. I mean many many MANY people may have the symptoms. That after all, is what BPD is... a group of symptoms. BPD isn't something you catch, it's something thats given to you by a shrink! It's a label for nine symptoms.

Im with the others here who have said if you think you have these symptoms, seek professional advice and let them do the labeling and diagnosing. Online tests are not all they are cracked up to be and were never meant to replace a real authentic diagnosis.

I really don't think anyone was having a 'go' at anyone else or targetting anyone on this forum in particular but I can understand the frustration of people who are self diagnosing when I've basically gone through HELL having this label forced on me. That alone brought me down and caused me to manifest yet stronger symptoms. took me ages to get over it actually.

Paine

I don't think anyone actually has BPD until they are diagnosed by a professional psychiatrist with it. I mean many many MANY people may have the symptoms. That after all, is what BPD is... a group of symptoms. BPD isn't something you catch, it's something thats given to you by a shrink! It's a label for nine symptoms.

Im with the others here who have said if you think you have these symptoms, seek professional advice and let them do the labeling and diagnosing. Online tests are not all they are cracked up to be and were never meant to replace a real authentic diagnosis.

I really don't think anyone was having a 'go' at anyone else or targetting anyone on this forum in particular but I can understand the frustration of people who are self diagnosing when I've basically gone through HELL having this label forced on me. That alone brought me down and caused me to manifest yet stronger symptoms. took me ages to get over it actually.

Paine

this is basically what i was trying to say!!!!!! well done Paine !!!!!

We are here to support everyone, i can normally be found in live chat trying to help people. No matter what is going on with people were here for support, but labeling yourself is not the way to go!!!

X

Archived