Mental Health Forums

What You Fear The Most Can't Happen

LadyMacbeth

I received some homework from my therapist and with that she gave me a sheet on panic disorder.

The flow of adrenaline and the resulting extra blood flow increases your strength and awareness of danger. The "awareness" of the perceived danger may cause feeings such as dizziness, nausea, hyperventiliation, heart palpitations, confusion, lack of control, unreality, being dazed, shaking trembling, and sweaty palms.

You are not going crazy.

[U] You are not going to pass out Temporary dizziness leads people with panic to feel that they may pass out. This is not possible because during panic, your heart beats faster, and your blood pressure rises. As the blood pressure rises, it becomes impossible for you to "pass out". When people faint its because of a sudden drop in lowering pressure.

(This one made me really happy because this is my biggest fear while having panic attacks.)

The differences between a heart attack and heart palpitations from a panic a attack is the crushing sensation inside the chest and the pain that is continuous. PEOPLE WHO ARE HAVING A PANIC ATTACK ARE NOT SUFFERING FROM HEART PROBLEMS.

You will not stop breathing and suffocate. You cannot pass out and suffocate. YOu feel weak, dizzy, lightheaded, and faint because of the mixture of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your bloodstream that is out of whack. In a few moments your body will calm down and your breathing will return back to normal.

You are not losing control. Some fear embarrasing themselves in public, some fear having to be rushed to the hospital, and some fear they are losing control and will have to be institutionalized. The fact that you think you could lose control guarentees that losing control is not possible. Those who "lose control" are not aware or bothered by their environment,

Although the thoughts and feelings of anxiety are real, the brain is being tricked into thinking that you are in danger. 1`

Yaaay! Very good hand out there!

It made me relieved to find out too about the heart attack theory and pass out theory from my therapist as well. It really does make sense and works in the long run. Once you put it into practice, it should become second nature after awhile of working with it. The key is to catch yourself as soon as you can when you start feeling the way you do. (At least in my experience, it was)

Another thing I sometimes do is take my pulse when I am having one and it lets me know that I am ok since my pulse is racing 10 times faster then normal and I'm not dying because if I were, my pulse would almost be nothing and the beats in between would really slow down to a faint and it would be hard to even find your pulse and you wouldn't be as frantic as you are at the moment besides! Just something I do to hang in there and tell myself im ok. :)

It really does help and I hope you find that out too and that it works for you.

Take Care! :hug2:

Katiexx

I went to the :oMALL :o right after my therapy session today with a friend and I was fine. I kept telling myself I won't pass out!!!WoooHoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was fine. Do any of you feel like you need to run away when having a panic attack. My T said its good to do that actually. Well, run cause it relieves the symptoms.

I have been socializing like I normally do now I am dreading going back to Jersey on Thurs. but I have to look at it as my incentive to find a job and move back.

Archived