Mental Health Forums

Private Psychiatrists

Lauren

I have looked all over for one in my area. I was even willing to travel as far as london for one.

All I managed to find was private psychologists. I tried one for a while but he rejected me when things got tough.

My trust in my NHS one is shot to pieces, plus I hardly ever get to meet up with him anyway and he never replys to calls or anything.

So has anyone ever found one in private practise? I know it will be expensive, but lately I just dont care.

I need the med situation sorting out to badly to worry to much about money. (with in reason :unsure: )

xxxx

Good for you Lorna...trying to help yourself! :) Could you call up a mental health service and ask them to give you a list of private psychiatrists? I am really not sure if there any provate psychiatrists just because they are connected to a hospital. Also they are medical doctors. Actually do you have a private doctor...ask him because he may be able to help you locate one. Can you search for a different psychiatrist? Search on the internet and looking up their names in search engines can help just because you can check out their credentials. Always important.

yeah i am actually about to do that myself. i am gonna start by calling my mh team. have u tried that tack? i figure they are the people who would know and also i want to rub it in how crap they are by asking for a private one.

i have no ither ideas, sorry. good luck mate. xx

know how you feel, i am seriously considering going private after waiting TWO YEARS for psychotherapy

have loads of debts but who cares?

my health is most important

i am so annoyed at getting ZERO help for the last 2 years

i literally have NOBODY

..actually its amazing im not that fucked up!

at least i manage to make it to work most days,

even if i did have a HELL of a day today

but today was the final straw

neary had a panic attack when a customer got abusive

was really worried :unsure:

i know i need something drastic doing now

because this cant go on

today was shit

and i told one of the supervisors i have bpd :(

WHY did i do that?

probably be all round the office tomorrow

...do i care?

er...no

(((pinky)))

sorry your day sucked.

i have a feeling this thread wil interest many because we ALL seem to have had such similarly poor experiences with NHS pdocs. And i was thinking about the cost aspect - you dont actually see them that often anyway, not like therapists, so surely it wouldnt be that expensive??

probably worth the extra cost anyways. well, take it easy pinky..

love

lost xx

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lorna (and everyone else)

This is an old string, but I'll post this anyway - I've seen several private psychiatrists and one very good one is Dr Kamal Gupta at the Capio Nightingale. He is not too expensive, as private treatment goes and very nice and knowledgable. The other good thing is that the Nightingale is in Lisson Grove, about 5 minutes walk from Baker Street, so very accessible if you are coming from outside London. Tel no is 020 7535 7700

Apart from that the Priory group seems to have snaffled up all the good doctors - they have a reasonable website which lists Priory hospitals around the country and you could search for psychs on that.

But other than going through the private psych hospitals it isn't easy to find the right doctor without luck and patience. It's worth it when you do though - mine is a complete darling.

Good luck, Swan

Archived