Mental Health Forums

Sleep- Or Lack Of It

Paris

I have not slept properly for weeks, i have sleep meds that just dont seem to work, its like 730am and im still awake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if anyone has any useful tips on sleep hygiene please please share!!!

thankyou

a very wired lou

I have a few tips.

-Make your bedroom a calm place so not too many bright colours in there and such. No cluttering in there.

-Only get in bed for sleep, do not spend time in your bed otherwise well unless you are ill

-Get up at the same time every morning and go to bed at the same time every night

-Try to not sleep during the day

-An hour before you go to bed start to do something calming to get ready for bed

-No coffee and such before bed

-Have a ritual for before you go to bed,like brushing your teeth, putting on nightclothes etc every day in the same order so your body knows hey its about bedtime

-Make sure it is dark enough in your bedroom

-Look up some relaxation excersizes and try them

-If you really cant sleep, get up and try do something for a little while, then go back to bed and try agai

-Try and do more excersize during the day or go for a brisk walk so you are psychically tired at nighttime

Hope this helps.

Lilly

That is so sucky. I get that in cycles and just about nothing seems to work. I normally can't sleep when I have too much to think about, like money, referrals that are taking forever, relationships and the list goes on. I find that sometimes writing things down that you think about (whatever it is) is a great way to get them out of your system. Reading this book on mindfulness at the moment and it suggests that you try not to worry if you can't sleep, because the more you think about it and the more you worry the less likely you are to go to sleep, also if you can't sleep because you're thinking about things think to yourself "Is this something that I ca fix now, at this time of the night?". If it isn't, write it down on a list and deal with it the next day.

All the tips Lilly gave are great. There are few things you could try as well such as a bath (if you can) or a hot shower. If you can bathe putting Lavender oil in I find relaxing. You can also try putting some Lavender oil on your pillow, just a few drops. I read somewhere about making every other word you think "and" or any word you like, it's suppose to disrupt your thinking processes so can sleep. I tried it one and it actually worked.

Hope you find some things that'll work for you and that you get some sleep soon. Not sleeping is sooo not nice...

Ulrica

I was diagnosed 4 days ago and have a approx. total of 8 hours in those 4 days. Just know there is someone else who apparently now has night life. One she doesn't want.

have u tried a hammer or perhaps watching harry potter

lol seriously i hope u manage to deal with this probelem soon maybe go back the doctors

LOL!!! A hammer might do it, but harry potter doesnt work i tried that one!!

I have tried some of the things suggested and I just cant sleep.............

Its starting to make me miserable!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Is this a regular problem with you or just lately?? if its lately do you know what changed in your life that made this come on, like stress or meds??

If you have this problem a lot, in Holland we have sleep clinics where you can go and they can asses you and give tips. Maybe something to ask your GP about??

Lilly

This has just got really bad lately, i have been on sleeping meds before but my doc says i was getting addicted to them and so im not allowed anything. I have started anti d's again in past 6 weeks and since then my sleep has got so much worse!! Its making me a misery to be near!!! And being up too much gives me way too much time to think!!

Not nice. I can relate, I once couldn't sleep for 11 days straight, sucks big time so I kinda know how you feel... Maybe talk to your doc about prescribing some non-addictive sleeping tablets and see it that helps. I know they exist since I was one them some time ago and was on them solid for over a year so I'm sure there is other things to try. I would give you the names but I only have the Swedish ones and I'm not sure that helps. Maybe it's the anti-d's causing it? I know some can make you more wired, happened to me once. But I guess the most important thing is to talk to your doc. Sleep is soooo important when you're not stable since it just makes you feel less stable and you think more too, unpleasant...

Hey lou -

Have you talked to your doc about the new meds and the no sleeping? The

meds can be effecting your sleep. I was also going to suggest some music

to help you relax, or relax tape sounds. Get off the computer at nite, was a

good suggestion, so much going on in here lately gets your mind racing.

Marchmadness

Get a teddy!!!!! :lol:

nah just an idea lou

sometimes curling up in bed with a teddy make me go to sleep so it might work for you.

hope you get some sleep soon xox

Archived