Mental Health Forums

Valium Part 2

kib0ne

Well seeing the psychiatrist on Wednesday was incredibly difficult... but it went better than expected in regards to getting a Valium prescription. I got a prescription for 7 days, one to be taken at night; not to be repeated. So at the end of the appointment I said 'I don't feel we've addressed the reason ultimately why I've come to be here today' (essentially ineffectiveness in dealing with crisis) which in the short term I'd be looking for a PRN script for... but he said to call duty at CMHT or the psychiatric ward and they would talk me through it.

This morning I got myself into a right state again (won't bore with the details), and called duty and coincidentally it was a nurse that the psychiatrist had called in to sit in on my appointment. So given the circumstances I don't really blame her for not making much of an attempt to 'talk me through it', because I was in that much of a state it just wasn't gonna happen and she told me to take some Valium. She also said that the psychiatrist won't mind because I needed to take something to deal with it, as long as it's not everyday? So cut a long story short, I took the Valium and everything was hunky dory, but not everyday? I've only got 7 pills remember...

Now, exactly the same thing happened this evening in regards to me 'getting into a state' as I put it. I tried to call the duty nurse on the ward, but had to leave my number and having not gotten a response I took another Valium ... fortunately it coincided well with 'bedtime' which is what this script is indicated for, anyway everything hunky dory again. Some time later I got in touch with the duty nurse and explained things and she said to go to my GP tomorrow, be honest and request a PRN script and they shouldn't have too much of a problem with writing one because I've been in touch duties. I think its incredibly optimistic and I can't help but feel that the anxiety I'm having around this now could have been avoided.

I now have to face the psychological obstacle course of getting to my GP, starting with organising myself enough to make the appointment which I anticipate could be difficult if I'm flat on my arse asleep given my sleep has been broken. Moving on to actually getting there, which I also anticipate being a problem as the nurse I spoke to this morning identified over the phone my concentration was so poor; when I had to go to the chemist crossing the road was going to be a bit hit or miss and all she could do was to advise me to use pelican crossings and wait for the beeps! Wish me luck.

Good luck my dear!!

I think you are doing really well all in all considered, you are reaching out for help this is a good thing!!

Maybe you could post here about what helps people when they get in a state as you call it and then maybe you can try out some of those things.

I will tell you what helps me. When I feel it coming on to immidiatly seek distracktion. Like coming here and trying to help other people. Try and find something you like to do.

A warm shower or cleaning the house helps me too.

I just believe that when you sit with it it gets worse, you sit there and you think yourself in an even higher state of anxiety.

So my answer is distracktion, distracktion, distracktion.

Also it helps me to remember these states always pass!! And wont kill you!!!

So the world wont end you just have to try and find ways to deal with it.

Lilly

Archived