Mental Health Forums

Olanzapine

Bunny

Olanzapine works well

(well im not sure if its just me) But I've put on a stone and a half in two weeks since I started it

I'm trying to wiegh up the pros and cons (no pun intended! :D )

I was wondering if anyone is that has BPD and is happy with their antipsychotic meds and wether they have had any good experiences with them

I know they effect individuals differently Just thought I'd ask the opinions on this sort of meds

Thanx

Bunny :P

ive been on olansapine before twice.

the first i cant remember as i was so out of it i was really ill then but they took me off after a week or so. but i know they put weight on even though i refused to eat anything more than a salad roll each day. well thats what i was told.(i was in psych hosp then)

the second time i was put onto it i gained ova a stone in a week so took myself off it(not recommened). it works really well it got me out of a crisis without causeing to much harm to myself but i couldnt hack the weight gain and i have a big issue with that.

i would say speak to your pdoc about it, if u can hack the weight then might be an idea to stay on it if its helping. but the best thing is to speak to your pdoc but i think most anti-p's have the weight gain thing though not to such a greater degree as olanzapine i think that one is the worst but does really help which is such a shame if they could take the weight gain out of it i would have stayed on it.

I've been on Olanzepine for ten years

And in that time i've gone from II stone to 16 - I excersise on a mountain bike and do lots of Walking

I can drink in Moderation on it, and sometimes even party

It seems to be strongest first thing in the morning ( I switch my brain off for an hour).

It keeps me very calm, but if I go too long without a smoke - I feel less and less human.

I'm not worried about the weight, probably because i'm a man and it's socially acceptable to be Beefy.

I put on 5 stone in a year on Olanzapine. The med works well for me so i stuck with it. But i recently joined Slimming World and am losing weight, slowly, 1 pound a week, but it's coming off. Actually lost 3lb this week. I still take olnzapine, so it *is* possible to combat it.

I used it for a few weeks and it worked well for me, but it made me feel hungry all the time and I was putting on weight very quickly. That's why I stopped it. Perhaps you could ask to see a dietician for advice.

Archived