Mental Health Forums

Weight Gain

seafree

About a month ago i started on seroquel (quietapine). Now over Xmas, i lost a lot of weight due to stress, and it was about the time i started Seroquel that the compliments came flying in. So i panicked because i know with antipsychotics the majority put on weight. SO i stopped eating.

Except i haven't lost any weight in the last month due to being on the seroquel although the difference in my behaviour is outstanding. I'm far more balanced, relaxed and content. My friends are amazed at the difference in me.

Thing is, i can't spend the rest of my days not eating!! But can you imagine if i was eating as well as being on these meds? The problem is with me i just look at a bar of chocolate and put on weight lol.

I'm so happy at the moment due to being the weight i am i feel so much more confident! But the eating thing is turning into an obsession, to the point where i'm so desperate to lose more i'm tempted to stop the meds.

Vain. Selfish. Probably.

Any advice?

hi, im on seroquel, two years ago i was size 8-10 now im 16, ive often thought about stopping them but i know i need them! what would i rather be, really off my head or stable,(well stable as i can be!) so being fat is the lesser of two evils

It is indeed i agree but i also think it's a bit of a vicious circle. I have no confidence and self esteem when i'm fat (and believe me i've been huuuuuge) i refuse to leave the house and looking in the mirror reduces me to tears. I hate myself so i hurt myself. But when i'm thinner i'm brimming with confidence, feel sexy and look in the mirror and smile.

I'm not saying that all my problems stem from my image, i'm not THAT vain lol, but it does have a noticeable impact. But saying that i love the way im feeling at the moment, all floaty and happy :D Being able to sleep at night is also a huge bonus.

hi i used to take those but also gained alot of weight, thats the trouble with physciatrict medication im afraid........i guess only you can make the choice on what you do, but i do advise not eating is gonna add to ur problems in the long run......which u know already of course. just try eating healthy see if that helps. xx

Thanks for your reply Rachel. I'm doing more exercise at the moment to see if that helps, its just getting me all wound up!

xx

That's why I came off Olanzapine. I wish for the effects of the med but w/o the weight gain. Maybe healthy eating and exercise? Have you seen a dietician for advice?

That sucks doesnt it??!!

I think trying to excesize more and also a healthy diet are a good idea to try. Good luck!! And keep us posted??

Lilly

Archived