Mental Health Forums

How Much Do You Fear Your Mortality?

lostsoul

How much do you fear your mortality?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you fear your mortality?

• I am very fearful of my mortality and worry about it a lot
    • I am sometimes fearful of my mortality and worry a little
    • I occasionally fear my mortality and worry hardly at all
    • I never fear my mortality and never worry about it

I obviously worry about what I would leave behind in terms of what it would do to people like my son, and my family etc...

However, all these people know the pain I have been in all my life.... To me, suicide is a form of euthanasia, by your own hand... No-one can possibly understand how much pain another person is in... you may be able to identify with it - but no-one ever knows how deep and what affect it is having upon you..... Therefore, if I cannot rid myself of this pain within the next few years.... I will probably commit suicide.

Ginny

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ginny

• Precious

• lostsoul

• LadyMacbeth

Ginny...you really upset me by saying that! People know you have been in pain but it will still hurt the people around you. You can't think like that.

:trigger:

It really is a logical thought to me..... I am looking at it in a simple way - if you knew someone who was dying of cancer wouldnt you let them kill themselves..... The pain of living has been too much for me for so long - I only get through cos of the people around me.....I am attempting to get well with DBT... I really DO hope it works.... But I reserve the right to relieve myself from all the pain when things have gotten to the "I cant get well" stage.... I dont want live like this forever...

Ginny :mellow:

You are not dying of cancer...you have depression...and no to answer your question I would not give some one permission to kill themselves. Its giving up a fight by taking a cowardice way of setting yourself free. You may not be aware of your own death but you won't be there to endure the sufferings of those around you who will live with it the rest of their life. You are still young Ginny and in a few years you may just be blessed with grandchildren. Need I say more. You don't know where you will be in ten years from now...you could be happily married or you could be single and happy. Whichever we can't predict the future. God put you on this planet for a reason and it was not to suffer..

I guess you do reserve that right. And no one can stop you if you do so. But, as I have said before why bother getting close to people if for some reason or another they leave. I guess its just easier holding people at a distance rather then getting attatched because that can be painful.

I agree you have depression. Not cancer. I equate having bipolar to having cancer. But this can't justify me to kill myself nor does it you.

Ginny, your absolutely right. No one can or ever will realize/know the pain your in. The act of suicide does end personal pain. Yep, gone. There's no returning or changing the mind. Gone. But ya know what?

Everyone you leave behind will be not horrified because they will miss you, but they will be horribly ANGRY that you decided to "cop out" and "check out". A person who suicides leaves a trail of destruction in the lives of others.........even thos not so close.

Knowing this WILL happen to those around you......why continue down that road of planning your demise? When you'll be killing others too. I am personally bothered by your desire to suicide. Unless we can chat about being in the life we have today and stratagies of how to do so, then I can't continue posting in this thread.

I'm sorry

Wisdom

i find your comments emotionally loaded and unfair wis. everyone is entitled to their point of view. she has not comitted suicide yet so dont judge her as though she has ok?

she has a right to do with her body what she wants. it is no-one else's.

I havent been posting much but had to on this.I agree with Lost,at the end of the day it is a personal choice,one we sometimes make not just because of our own pain but the pain we inflict on our kids and close ones by not being able to move on.

My dad was bipolar and yes it was like a cancer,it ate at him and those who loved him,likewise depression or any other mental health issue eats your own soul and affects all those people you love.

All mental health probs are horrible,they seem invisible to a lot of people,there is no magic wand and sometimes its just so sodding tedious and hopeless it makes sense to want to stop.

I have no desire to inflict pain on my kids by my behaviour/actions but if I have to spend the rest of my life feeling like a pice of crap then I will in turn past on this misery to mykids,I might not set out to but mental illness rubs off on the people we love.I would hate to think that this is my legacy to my kids.

So I am guesing that if a loved one decided to take their life being a family member, significant other, friend...etc...you would not stop them you would allow them to do it. I am sorry I think this is inane!

Personally I don't think that I could abort a pregnancy, but that does not mean that I agree that it should be illegal and that I would tell others not to do it - it is a very personal choice, one which I am sure no-one would undertake lightly.

The point is that to suicide is to make that decision for yourself, not someone doing it to you, not doing it to someone else.

The final escape and the final and ultimate control of yourself.

Trying to beat someone up, manipulate them by bullying them about their desire to do something that you do not agree with will not stop them.

Ginny, I am really sorry that you feel this way and I sincerely hope that you find the answers and that things do pick up before you get to that stage, I would hate to lose you, as I believe everyone else would. But by being angry at you and admonishing you I do not believe will achieve anything.

I wish I could do something to take your pain away - I am here for you.

Flowergirl x

Ginny, lost, paddy, pink, lady and others. I am sorry. It's not my intent to judge anyone's character nor to imply that everyone is "this that or the other" for thinking/wanting/doing to kill themselves. All of you guys are wonderful people and very important to me so much that the discussion of people using suicide as a last option stings me personally. (professionally). It hurts. I've been there, done that, and seen it. I become emotionally charged.

The text books say nothing different from what I feel. The "act" of suicide is selfish. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my prior posting... The person who suicides leaves behind a horrible legacy........ Suicide is wrong. I can't imagine reading this thread and not having to speak out against the topic of suicide. I do not judge the person who commits the act of suicide in as much as I judge the act of suicide as being wrong and I also worry about those left behind. I personally believe and professionally studied that those who kill themselves need help asap.

Yes, everyone has that "right" to kill themselves. But if any of us were to ready to kill themselves and shared this.......I would do everything in my power to stop the person. Having read this thread I do not hear that anyone is going to kill themselves but discussing it as a "last option".

Again. I'm sorry to become so emotionally charged.

Love ya guys

Wiz

I would like to know what textbooks you read that regard the act of suicide as selfish...

If someone is in pain(for whatever reason) and wants to die to rid themselves of the pain - is that selfish.... I think not. Moreover, I have NOT said I want to commit suicide - I merely said that after I have done EVERYTHING I can to help myself and it doesnt work - then I would look at suicide as a way out... YOU do not know me or my pain - nor can you identify with it - it is not neccessarily just depression - it goes much deeper than that... If my life CANT get any better, Wisdom, and I am left alone with no children at home and a horrible life that cant be changed.... Well, where's your advice then - try harder??? People can get very tired of trying... when there is no end in sight...

Ginny :mellow:

I also did not mean to say that if a loved one decided to take his/her life its okay. I just worry and care about people. I also fear my own death and the people I care about dying. Its hard for me to even think about it.

:wub:

((((((((((((Lady)))))))))))))))) Dont be scared, please.... Death is something you cant control - it will happen to us and to people we know... No point in dwelling on something you cant change... Please Lady - dont think too much about this - you will end up getting all panicky.. and I dont want that for you..

Take care

Luv you lots

Ginny :wub::wub::wub: :wub:

:o Ginny! If someone has cancer you shouldnt let them kill themselves. My grandmom had cancer and i would have never let that happen. None of us would. I do get scared of death... i worry about getting sick, or someone killing me. But hopefully that never happens. I dont want to die.. ecspecially not those ways.

Lots of love,

-Ash-

If a personal friend or family member had a desire to commit suicide I would do whatever I could to see them through thier pain,I dont condone suicide but I understand the desire to stop the pain,I understand the need to stop breathing,I dont think thats inane just my opinion.

Likewise I dont think suicide is a selfish act,its not about selfishness and its not about cowardice,anybody that commits suicide is beyond thinking about selfishness or whether they are cowards.

Suicide is about hopelessness.

For the record I have attempted suicide and I feel ashamed at the damage my actions had on my family but likewise I know that if I continue in a downward spiral it also damages my family,either way my family suffers and either way their is a legacy of misery left behind.

I guess at the end of the day its about personal choice.

If my grandmom told us that she wanted to do that , i wouldnt let her... I know she was in pain... but still. You shouldnt kill yourself. I know ive tried too.. and i feel bad for it.. my grandmom didnt deserve to die.. and thinking that she would have to kill herself.. that would have killed me. I know she was in pain..but I just dont think suicide is right.

-Ash-

I think that if someone is dying of cancer, bc, not letting them die to get away from their pain, now THAT is a selfish act. Because you are NOT thinking of THEM, you are thinking of YOU and YOUR pain at losing someone... pure, unadulterated selfishness.

Had to be said.

Suicide means something different to everyone, like most other subjects in life.

Why should our own opinions be forced upon others. Are we not free to make these decisions for ourselves.

Many terminally ill patients decide to stop taking meds and thus suffer prolonged suicides - is this a more appropriate death for a loved one? Don't think so.

We are in charge of our own destiny - only we can decide what is right for us.

I am damned certain that anyone who does actually suicide has not taken this onboard light-heartedly and is, as pp says beyond selfishness.

Contrary I believe that suicidals would believe that they would be doing it to protect others around them and actually believe they are acting altruistic.

Just my two penneth.

Just would like to add that I watched my dad die over a period of five years,he ended up in a nursing home and yes the staff were brilliant but he couldnt speak,he had little or no movement and was confined to a bed,he was incontinent and lost to this world long before he died,I wouldnt wish his pain on my worst enemy.

Likewise I watched my father in law struggle through the indignity of several strokes,prior to the final stroke he made it clear that he wanted to die,being in a shell of a body was intolerable to him.

Both my father and father in law were kept alive because the relatives and that includes me couldnt deal with the thought of their death and separation from us.

We were selfish,we streched out the lives of people in great physical and emotional pain for our own needs.Ill never ever do that again.

Archived