Mental Health Forums

How Much Do You Fear Your Mortality?

lostsoul

How much do you fear your mortality?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you fear your mortality?

• I am very fearful of my mortality and worry about it a lot
    • I am sometimes fearful of my mortality and worry a little
    • I occasionally fear my mortality and worry hardly at all
    • I never fear my mortality and never worry about it

One of my closest friends from high school was killed over two years ago in a car accident. She wa sdriving down a shitty winding road in NY and a car hit her smack on. The person in the other car was high and had been drinking. Melissa was killed instantly. Melissa's family were in their car behind her so they witnessed it. The driver of that ar just recently killed himself to escape jail. My friend is dead because of it. Shw as a good person and was going to be a teacher...she was young and did not deserve to die. So yes...when I hear that people I care about want to die it shakes me up because anyone can just go at anytime. And people who get sick or die in some accident never asked to die.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ginny

• Precious

• lostsoul

• LadyMacbeth

Gin- there are a lot of people who have diseases and are in pain. But its not right to let them kill themselves.. I dont want anyone in pain.. but suicide isnt the way... If a person is sick, they are gonna leave the world when God sais so. You could live years more... A cure could turn up.. killing themselves isnt right. and a person who loves them wouldnt let it happen. I know the pain stopping is a good feeling but in any situation how can you tell whats going to happen later if you end it?

lots of love,

Ash

I agree with you Lady. You CAN go at any time.. and there are people who want to live and there are people who want to die. Some of the people who want to live might be sick or something but still want to live. And some people who want to die are depressed and can live and have a chance to keep going. I bet a lot of people in hospital beds pray to live and keep going, but they dont because they are sick...and people who are depressed may wish that they were dead.. but they have life to keep living. Its sad because it usually comes down to it that the people who want to live and are sick end up dying and depression you can keep living and trying to make things better but some ppl dont want to. All together, suicide shouldnt be an answer... Did that make sense?

Ash

I am gonna stop posting in this thread now - it is obvious that we all have different opinions for different reasons.... nothing I say can make people change their mind - and nothing anyone else says can make me change mine... enough said.

Ginny

I volunteered in high school to be a host at a party for a two-year-old that that a brain tumour. Seeing this child was so painful because we knew she would die. She did die a few months later. Why? Why would God take her out of this world? What did she do> All those children dying of cancer...what did they do> Nothing so why do they have to suffer any die? Can youactually believe a God exists if he allows people sufer in so much pain.

Its horrible that, that stuff happens. But I do believe in God. I know the things that happen in this world are horrible.. but God is there, and I will always believe that. A lot of people in this world that suffer.. dont deserve it! Sometimes its hard to believe that God is there with all the stuff in the world happening.. but the world isnt perfect and i dont think it can be.

-Ash-

life is only precious if there is quality of life. yes? life for most is very groovy because their faculties work very nicely. how would you feel if you had to be fed through a tube into your stomach, if your shit came out of a colostomy bag, if you couldnt move, if you were in constant pain, if you couldnt see or hear anything, if you were lost in a stroke victims brain. all you do is dribble. nice life huh. a life worth preserving? i'd think twice if i were you.

i am frankly surprised at some of the responses to this thread, not least because they are so uncompassionate. i would have thought that since many of you have felt suicidal, for the very reason that life is very painful sometimes, and seemingly unbearably so, that you would be more able to find empathy for someone facing a long drawn out death.

and why is god being brought into the argument seeing as he doesn't exist anyway (!) and even if he did, we can choose to die when we want, so that must be part of god's grand design, yes? and if it is part of his grand design, then its ok, right? what sort if a god would want you to suffer?

furthermore, if you try to argue that preserving someone's life (who does not wish it be preserved) isn't being selfish, then you would benefit from looking up the word 'selfish' in a reputable dictionary. perhaps when you have established the correct meaning, you will happily change your stance on this matter. its so obvious. even smarties have the answer :P

thank you.

SELFISH SELFISH SELFISH. ahem.

anyway. feel free to respond to that (it was meant to be provocative lol)

enjoy.

xx

Okay...don't have a go at me for my own opinion of death. My later posting had nothing to do with suicide. YOU may not believe in God but thats your own opinion. Many people believe there is a Godl..your sarcastic tone is uncalled for. No one is judging people. If uou have a problem with me then you say it directly. Yes, I am fucking angry right now.

enjoy.

xx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

omg chill please.

can we not approach this thread with a calm sense of humour? it is obvious from previous threads that we are just expressing our opinions and that living in a democratic world this is just fine.

the sarcasm stuck out for reasons of HUMOUR, can we not laugh a bit more please instead of taking things as personal threats?

if u believe in god that is absolutely fine. why do you feel so threatened by my 'opinion'?

ffs!!!

I do not find the subject of death amusing...you may find it hysterical but I don't. Its not fair to devalue a 15 yr-olds fear of death bc of her gradmother died of cancer. I would have the same fear too.

ffs Lady

If it pisses you off so much stop banging on with the thread.

You have your opinion

We respect it

No-one is threatening anyone else.

Take the anger out through exercise, not us.

yes, you know i find it hysterical. NOT.

finding it scary is a great reason to talk about it WITH a sense of humour, surely.

death is going to happen to you. it will happen to ALL of us. discussing suicide and euthanasia is to discuss ways that bring forward an inevitable event. the way these topics are being discussed is as if death itself were wrong somehow, when it plainly cannot be viewed in such terms.

xx

Okay, flower...I really don't feel like you need to gang up on me..you are taking it out on me not you....How this got started has nothing to do with you. So keep out!

Excuse me Lady, I believe the thread was started by lostsoul and was not addressed specifically to you.

I will keep out from now on.

You probably shouldn't accuse others unfairly and then you wouldn't feel the f rejection hun.

keep the thread to yourself - be happy

Flower

its not so much how it would make me feel that would be the focus for me actually. my first reaction would be to try and establish their reasons for feeling such a way and set out to plan with them ways in which the matters could be resolved, so that suicide was no longer viewed by them as the only or the best option.

this plan may include many different approaches - im sure we can all think of what these might be.

if after trying all these things the person commited suicide, i would feel upset, of course, but also that this person made a decision about their own life that i would HAVE to respect, because it was their life to take.

i thought this about my mother when i was eleven when she first said she wanted to die. yes, i decided i would rather she live, for my own selfish reasons - i needed a mum. there would have been some anger towards her if she had done it. but then i was young, and didnt understand. if she did it now, i would feel sad but not angry - i would understand her motives better; the benefit of having gone through similar experiences myself, and being that much older.

cant think of anything else to say. hope that answers your question.

yes, to recap - for me i suppose it is about drawing a line between feeling upset at the loss of someone, and being angry at them for their actions.

You are getting at me because of my opinion. You jumped on out of no where when it started because I made a response to a friend out of concern. I do not judge YOU or anyone else for what you or anyone else believes. I have my own opinion but when I am attacked by a member here I will get angry.

Soul..you know I love you and we think share many of the same thoughts..I know this one we differ. :lol: I don't want to fall out with you over this damn stupid debate...I don't really understand how you are thinking but I don't judge you and I respect what you are saying. It does make sense in a way.

:wub:

death is never nice, but as i said before, it will happen, and something like suicide is merely bringing the date forward.

to accept that death will happen to that person you love i think is an important step for gaining more perspective on suicide. it is just another way to die.

perhaps for some it is hard to view it like this, because they tie up the person wanting to be rid of life, with that person wanting to be rid of them too.

i dont know if that's correct. but i could see how people could feel that to be true. i think in reality, people's loved ones are the reason so many hang on despite suicidal intentions. this to me makes it more compelling a case that people who do eventually commit suicide are in such a HUGE amount of pain, that even this is not enough in the end to keep them alive.

i can only have compassion for people in this situation. it is very sad.

lady -

yeah we're cool. obviously!

i like a good debate. i find it interesting learning how other people conceptualise the world and 'stuff'.

this threads a bit like the house of commons area of bpd world isnt it.... here here!!! And booooo!!!

maybe in a bit someone will throw a condom at us filled with purple flour, from the viewing gallery lol.

did u hear about that? someone did that a while ago to Tony Blair. Fantastic!!!

mind you, we are clearly having a cleaner fight than tony and howard i think. no-one has mentioned affairs with nannies yet, or sidling funds into expense accounts etc lol

xx

Now I am laughing my ass off!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I am just imagining a House of Comons debabe right now. Bring on thee condoms!!!!!!I think this is more interesting though! :lol::lol: :lol:

This topic of death brings on a memory........my 11 yr old son took ill and went on life support for 5 days 97'. No chance of recovery. All tests were done and redone.

I had a choice: keep him on life support and never see his eyes open again and dependant on resp. ect...... or shut the machines off and allow him to die.

I along with my partner allowed him to die. He lay in my lap while they unhooked life support. He died in my arms.

Pls don't feel bad for me. HIs b-day is in 4 days. he'd be 19 and ready to graduate this june.

Death is a strange thing................

Archived