Mental Health Forums

Anyone Taking 5-htp?

Guest angelheather

Guest angelheather

I was on zoloft for 9 years and now I've been off of it for 2 months. I've been taking 5-HTP, a natural supplement for depression for about a month. I've noticed that it definetly does not numb my emotions like zoloft and I don't get any bad side effects. It lifts my mood but I feel emotions a lot stronger now and react intensely to everything. That's probably my BPD kickin' in!!

Does anyone here take 5HTP for depression?? How do you feel on it? And do you have any side effects from it?

Guest angelheather

I've read about it and was wondering whether to take it. It will be interesting to see what people answer.

Tory

I'm taking it because there were so many bad side effects from Zoloft. I started with 50mg 5HTP and it was okay but I had still had depression. Now I'm up to 150 mg. They say you should try anything new for at least 2-4 weeks because you may get depression/suicidal thoughts after the first week of taking it, and then you will feel better - like your body has to get used to it.

I'm also taking ginseng and will start taking vitamin B6 with it to see if it helps stabalize mood.

I used it with Rhodiola and St. John's Wort. No side effects. Worked a bit for a few months but then I ended up back on ADs. I've come across a supplement called SAMe but I've not tried it.

Archived