Mental Health Forums

Dissociation

siwedgewood

Does anyone else here have this? I've had it for many years, after an abusive upbringing and lousy, damaging psychiatric "treatment" which meant I ended up self-diagnosing, and I've now got my GP helping as best he can. I have frequent (ie daily) flashbacks to past events, and get confused very easily. I'm doing better now I know what I'm dealing with, but it's still hard. Any kindred spirits out there, I'd be glad to hear from you all :D

You will find that lots of us on here dissociate ..... all to varying degrees......

Welcome to the boards.......look forward to getting to know you....

Jx

PS There is a section of the forum dedicated to it..... you will find lots of insight there..... x

• 3 weeks later...

I also suffer from it. i was diagnosed a week ago. Im kind of the same as you i suffer from extreme dissociation and im only 21. The way mine works is nothing seems real the whole world is a dream to me. ITs strange and very upsetting to talk out loud about but i have suffered from it for 12 years due to long term abuse as a child. I have only just found out that im not crazy, the world is real, i just have a defect (shall we say) its reassuring to know there are others. I also have the other symptoms but that is the main one. I have ocd and extreme anxiety. BUt hey every one has there problems!

i would love to get to know you please feel free to chat

all the best jems

xxxx

I'm new here. I have DID as well, due to longterm childhood abuse. Finding everything really tough at the moment. feeling very triggered and flashbacks are constant. This is a very scary day for me historically so I guess that is why I am struggling so much right now. I also have OCD and CPTSD. Havent talked with others like me before, it helps to not feel completely alone. Still struggling to feel its ok for me to be here though

Its really nice to not feel alone isint it.

Do you find that the DID triggers the OCD off really bad? if you dont mind me asking? I get really irritated with my self because my OCD gets so bad when i pay attention to the DID. I hope we can chat more its new for both of us. Please feel free to ask me stuff if you want to. WE can share the experience.

have a good day

jems xx :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I am so pleased that i have found other people with dissociation i have had it since i was 12 as well, i have almost learned to live with it, but it is becoming a big problem for me lately. Hope you guys are still around? I am being refered to the mental health team but i never really seem to have much luck, i remember seeing someone who told me that it might go away and it might not. What kind of treatment are you guys getting?

I don't get any treatment for it, my shrink told me there really wasn't any except therapy. She advised to deal with it best I could, and once I get into some real therapy, my symptoms, including diss. may lighten up.

Hello!

I am so pleased that i have found other people with dissociation i have had it since i was 12 as well, i have almost learned to live with it, but it is becoming a big problem for me lately. Hope you guys are still around? I am being refered to the mental health team but i never really seem to have much luck, i remember seeing someone who told me that it might go away and it might not. What kind of treatment are you guys getting?

My treatment is crap, I was horrifically abused as a child, but i don't think of that as being the cause of my problems, to some extent i've accepted what happened and dealt with it, the actions against me no longer cause me any worry. I have Personality dissorder and psychotic deperssion - I get OCD centred arround the feeling of being unclean, so i wash my hands a lot and avoid sex because i think everyone trying to give me STD's - it's tottaly insane i know but if part of you refuses the other part of you to engage in a sexual relationship - that screws you up to start with.

All the doc's want to do is fill me up with Olanzapine, some great reward...

Talking about past trama specifically (and not my mental problems) read below...

I think the bottom line is to accept the past is the past (in cases of abuse), it cannot be changed, however... can it? well yes it can, I went and have a really good therpy session a couple of years ago, the trick to changing the past is this.... (think about this for a moment)... what is the past? answer .. MEMORIES, memory is just a chemical storage in the brain change the chemical order of storage and have a new happy memory, right?

There is a technique where you close your eyes (daydream/trance/meditate) and think of looking at a really big bank of tv screens - thousands of them sarting from the left when you were born,,, to the far right - present day, in each individule TV box is a memory, good or bad, birthdays, first day of school, when your grandad died, when you were sexually abused, your first boyfreind/girlfreind, your first car, etc....... what i did was - you go throught your life's TV boxes and you pick out the ones you don't want (this means you have to re-live them, sorry, you will burst out into tears, i did) you then get the TV's (all playing those bad memories over and over again) into your magical aircraft with a glass bottom, mine was like an alien spaceship, you can fly over anywhere in the world with your horrible memories it only take a few seconds to reach your destination (mine was central London just over the thames) and you open up the glass bottom and magically hover over the hole benith you, you dump out the memories in order of time starting with the youngest memories first, you view the memory one last time as you magically without touching the Screens dump out the tv and let it fall to the earth, you then start with the next and the next and so on, but the process speeds up and you get quicker and quicker the hundereds of memories are all disposed of within a couple of minutes. The glass bottom closes and you float down to the closed hatch and stand upright again, you then go through a process of installing new memories to replace the hole created by dumping forgoten unwanted memories

Then the really magical thing happens next, you think of what you would have liked to happen in your life, nothing too monumental, just pleasent things, picknics with your freinds on a summers day, a really good drawing you made, relive real good memories things you might have forgotten about re-create them - make them real again!! You notice in your aircraft that there is a bank of blank TV screens waiting to receive the new transmission of good happy memories, you transmit them one by one ..but again the process speed up and new happy memories flood out of you, you feel really happy and have a wonderful sense of excitement as fantastic memories seem to be remembered and fly out of you and display on the TV's in front of you one by one, you then install them into your memory by flying back into your mind on your aircraft (its a versitile aircraft isn't it?) you unload all these new tv's with the new happy memories into the blank slots in your minds eye created by the earlier removal. its a frantic quarter hour or so but you acheived your goal....

rest for a moment, let everything go, relax, and when your ready - come out of the trance.

I did this exercise with the world famous Anthony Robbins, it does work, but you have to be willing and accept the fact that trance and self hypnosis is real, not a magic trick.

I'm 23 and i have from what I gather depersonalisational dissociative disorder with ellements of unreal dissociation.

I've made a seperate post regarding treatments... it's hard to find and i'm having to fight tooth and nail for it. I'd really appriciate hearing your stories.

I too used to suffer with OCD. I say used to it never really goes away, i still think about checking etc at times but i have complette control of it now rather than it having control of me.

I would be happy to discuss with any of you how I've managed to get through this if you think it will help? Getting the OCD sorted gave me one less thing to worry about. :D

Archived