Mental Health Forums

Carbamazepine

jo-an

hi, anyone taking carbamazepine ? iv been taking this mood stabaliser for 2 1/2 weeks & i feel speedy, My dr says it wont do that & that i must be going into a psychosis yet its strange that iv felt like this after a wk of taking it. cheers jo-an

I've taken it for a different reason and it made me feel like I was completely drugged up and not quite part of the world xx

• 4 weeks later...

The main side-effect of carbamazepine is sedation, but like a lot of psychiatric drugs they can have paradoxical effects so rather than feeling sedated you feel quite the opposite. I'm a bit like that with coccaine, rather than feeling more awake and alert I feel knackered.

It's also worth noting that carbamazepine renders the contraceptive pill much much less effective; hopefully your doc's told you about that...

You're taking it as a mood-stabiliser which obviously suggests your moods aren't stable; so maybe rather than it being the drug that's making you feel speedy you're just having a manic/hypomanic episode and the drug isn't working? Talk again to your doc, feeling 'speedy' isn't what I'd call pre-psychotic so I don't know where he's coming from with that one...

The main side-effect of carbamazepine is sedation, but like a lot of psychiatric drugs they can have paradoxical effects so rather than feeling sedated you feel quite the opposite. I'm a bit like that with coccaine, rather than feeling more awake and alert I feel knackered.

It's also worth noting that carbamazepine renders the contraceptive pill much much less effective; hopefully your doc's told you about that...

You're taking it as a mood-stabiliser which obviously suggests your moods aren't stable; so maybe rather than it being the drug that's making you feel speedy you're just having a manic/hypomanic episode and the drug isn't working? Talk again to your doc, feeling 'speedy' isn't what I'd call pre-psychotic so I don't know where he's coming from with that one...

cheers for the reply. When i was heading in to my psychosis i couldnt sleep & i had the energy of 10 people, it was like having free speed i couldnt stop being busy so that explains where this dr is coming from, Iv stopped it now anyway & am feeling better.

Archived