Mental Health Forums

Quetiapine

willsmum

My psych has swapped me from fluanxol to quetiapine cos the fluanxol wasn't helping at all. Any experiences? And how long do you think it will take to have an effect? xx

Hey Willsmum

I was on that drug, and although it did help

it made me gain alot of weight.

just letting you know

much love

rach

xxx

im on quitiapine took a while for it to help with thoughts (tho thats weaing off now) but helped with sleeping almost insantly.

I did gain weight when i went on it but apparently everyone says i needed to gain it. I wouldnt say i gained too much but it did make me more hungry.

My psych has swapped me from fluanxol to quetiapine cos the fluanxol wasn't helping at all. Any experiences? And how long do you think it will take to have an effect? xx

Hiya Willsmum,

Im on Quetiapine. I take 350mg in the morning and 350mg b4 going to bed. I started of on 100mg when i was in hospital and initially it made me feel really lethargic. I gradually got accustomed to it after 4 weeks I think and the staff gradually increased the dose to what it is today over a span of 3 months. I do think quetiapine has helped me in the sense that I can differenciate between what is real and what is an illusion. I think the meds have helped in numbing down the intensity of my hallucinations. I would say that the meds took about a month to actually kick in. Quetiapine, however is used for various reasons. It is used for psychosis and schizophrenia. It is also used for manic depression and a mate of mine say that it does help her recover from what she calls her euphoric stage. If I remember correctly I think she takes 200mg daily. Im not sure what your diagnosis is, but I do hope it does help you. JUst give the meds a little time to kick in.

Take care

P :)

I take Quetiapine, they swapped me from chlorpromazine as that just left me barely conscious, have been on it for about 10 months now, was OK at first but then they put me on carbamazapene as well as all the others and now it just leaves me really tired, I think thats a side effect of the combination though not them alone, good luck with them.

ive been on this before but was really ill when they tried it. i not able to rememeber side effects for this tablet alone i just know that during that period i was tried on alot of meds and gained weight but i think that this drug was the one which i gained less weight on. i dont know if this was cos i was or wasnt eating at the time or what. im sorry not being to clear but when i was put on it a was really ill and didnt get much benefit from it.

I started this a couple of months ago and it made me feel extremely tired and like a zombie. Changed to taking it at night. But increased dosage so take a small amount a.m not so drowsy. No weight gain but then i eat very little.

I'm on a very low dosage (50mg) to help with sleeping. It's worked for that but as other's have said, it's made me drowsy until the afternoon the next day. Thought I was getting calmer on it too but that seems to have passed.

Hope it works for you though :)

Thanks everyone. I'll be keeping an eye on my weight cos that's one of the side effects that scares me most about so many of these drugs.

I've been put on it to help with the thoughts and also to help me sleep. I've found that I'm now sweating at night (and I mean waking up absolutely drenched in sweat) and having really vivid dreams. Do you think it might be the drug causing that? xx

when i was first on it i used to get sweats but they went after a month or so

Thank-you. That answers that question! xx

Archived