Mental Health Forums

Quitiapine In Pregnancy

daize

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last posted but life has been quite hectic.

I have been taking Quitiapine now since December my prescribed dose is 600mg per day though recently I have only been taking as much as I feel I need, usually about 300mg.

I have recently found out that I am pregnant, I have contacted my GP for advice with regards to my medication, his advice was to keep taking it though he didn't sound sure on the phone and I am obviously very concerned about the effect this medication could have on my unborn baby.

Has anyone here been taking this med while pregnant? Or does anyone know what the possible effects could be?

Thanks in advance

Daize

never taken when pregnant did a quick search online aand found it to say:

FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether quetiapine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

and

PREGNANCY: There are no adequate studies of quetiapine in pregnant women . Studies in animals are inconsistent. Some studies suggest effects on the fetus and others show no effects. Quetiapine should only be used in pregnancy if the physician feels that it is absolutely necessary and that the potential benefits justify the unknown risks.

Archived