Mental Health Forums

Saying No

Doctor Dysphoria

I find it VERY HARD to say NO

but i am actaulyl doing the DBT MODULE on Saying No - *Interpersonal Effectivness* at the moment...when i learn the secrets (only done 1 week of 12 so far) ill let you know!

what i do know is we cAN and are ALOUD to say NO.

I hate saying no. I have learnt to do it and now can do so with confidence and finality, but boy do I hate myself inside. The feelings of being an awful person, so selfish and plain bad, just because I said no, almost certainly to an unreasonable proposition in the first place, just eat me up inside like battery acid.

Not being able to say no has got me in a lot of trouble a fair few times in the past.

Even to the extreme that I gave somebody a lift home years back before I even had a licence.

well I could write a book on how hard it is...I am practicing and my therapist is encouraging me....its hard though..I'll write more another time as I'll have to go out soon....

...one thing she said was that unless I can say no, I can't really say yes either...

karie

i can't do it either. it is difficult and my therapist says he is going to teach me to have boundries but we haven't gotten there yet. we better get their soon cause i have all kinds of work i cant get done because i have commit to all this other stuff and now i am so committed i am almost paralyzed.

bets

I have a hard time saying no because I want it done right, and I seem to think only I can accomplish that. But it does, as Bets says, make things pile up to the point that I become paralyzed, and then either nothing gets done, or it all gets done, but not as well as I'd have liked. Still, for some reason, people fall all over themselves thanking me, which makes me hate them for being stupid. They do things so badly that what I do half-assed is better than their best. You judge for yourself whether I am deluded. I may be. Having said all that, once I have said no, it doesn't bother me a bit. I feel like f**k it, if they screw up, it's their problem, one less for me.

I say it in my head over and over. What comes out of my mouth is yes, then I am angry until whatever I have agreed to is completed. I can only say no to my husband, but a minute or two later I will do whatever it was anyway because I feel guilty. Still I will be angry until it is completed.

Archived