Mental Health Forums

Bpd Is Not Real

anon878

I was just "diagnosed." Looked into it and what a load of crap! I need to rant.

Think about it. In US universities at least, who majors in psychology in order to become a psychologist? THE BUBBLY, DITZY SORORITY CHICKS who aren't intelligent enough to do lots of "hard" reading, decipher social theory, or major in a real science. Psych is typically the most popular major for vapid, unintelligent types.

Eventually, a few of the hoardes of sub-par psych majors that the unis pump out will become therapists and the like. And during this time, they'll be confronted with all sorts of people who make them oh-so-uncomfortable! Teens who dress differently and cut themselves because Trent Reznor says its cool (or girls, like me, who read too many damn "real life" Teen magazine features and decided to give it a shot). And the spontaneous nonconformists who resist organizing their lives into an easily digestible narrative. The difference confuses them.

BPD isn't a diagnosis, it's an objectifying narrative, a trope, a label that the ditzy frat-girls turned therapists can use to reduce messy, complicated, 3-dimensional humans into a fully-knowable object - the Borderline Disordered Individual. It says nothing.

Fuck yes, I'm impulsive and spontaneous and passionate. I've no clue who the fuck I am, it varies situationally, except that I'm committed to the pursuit of fun and fulfillment. I find most people boring as FUCK and I've no desire for car payments, a mortgage, a husband or crotch monkeys - I want to always be able to pick up and keep trying something new and exciting my whole life, to live instead of just survive. If I had a cock, I'd be an All American cowboy, a hardcore rugged individualist. But since I don't, I just make folks uncomfortable.

welcome to the forum and i hope you manage to get the right help for you and your BPD and i do hope things get better for you.

Take care

Angela x x

Guest malibu2008

Welcome to the board, I'm new to the site also. and i have been Dignosed with BPD only recently and have had it for years it seems. i hope you get the best out of the site it is really good. and hope you recieve the right treatment you need

Malibu

hey, erm yea, im a psychology student, i graduate this year, im in the uk, and can a say im not a '''THE BUBBLY, DITZY SORORITY CHICKS who aren't intelligent enough to do lots of "hard" reading, decipher social theory, or major in a real science. Psych is typically the most popular major for vapid, unintelligent types.'''

i work very hard to get my grades, and do a job to pay for my tuition.

also '''Fuck yes, I'm impulsive and spontaneous and passionate. I've no clue who the fuck I am, it varies situationally, ''' erm hello, big part of BPD...

if u are so sure that you are not BPD, why join a BPD forum???

why not join a 'im a bit different, but there's fuck all wrong with me forum' forum and slate them instead?

sorry if that sounds harse, but i feel like you just attacked every person with BPD and every psychology student/worker...

im a psyc student & have bpd lol. i think your not helping yourself by being so stuborn about your disorder. even if you really beleive that you dont have it then still give therapy a shot, your obviously an angry person. you have nothing to loose. may i ask if your truely happy with who you are? do u think yourself you could benefit from a little change? if you answer yes to either question then give therapy a shot & let them help you. keep an open mind (something ive been told like 5000 times in the past month). i personally think it is a disorder, theres just too much documentation on it to say its not.

& btw only a psychiatrist can offically diagnose you. so its not made up by the ditzy blah blah people you mentioned. psychiatrists are doctors and its not easy to become a dr. so i think we can safely say you are wrong on that front.

Dear Sherry Anne,

I personally think that BPD does exist but in order to have BPD, or any personality disorder for that matter, there must be an enduring pattern of inner experience and behaviour that diviates markedly from the expectations of a persons culture. Its all a matter of degree and which traits you have. So I would say that the "Teens who dress differently and cut themselves because Trent Reznor says its cool (or girls, like me, who read too many damn "real life Teen magazine features and decided to give it a shot" would not be borderline as you can't really rely on a single-slice-in-time conclusion.

Nor can you rely on a single trait that a person exhibits. You need 5 out of the 9 criteria to meet the diagnoisis and ofcourse the degree. eg, as Dr Valiant says, a pilot must have a degree of narcissim (healthy self confidence) and obsessive compulsive (attention to detail, conscientious). This does not mean they are narcisstic or have OCD.

So when you say you are "I'm impulsive and spontaneous and passionate. I've no clue who the fuck I am, it varies situationally, except that I'm committed to the pursuit of fun and fulfillment". This does not necessarily mean that you are borderline as there are alot of people who are impulsive about something (be it shopping or whatever) that do not meet the criteria for BPD. When you say you have no clue who you are - it appears that you do have some sort of insight as to who you are because you said you were able to describe yourself as impulsive, spontaneous and passionate and you are committed to the pursuite of fun and fulfillment. I don't think any of these factors are negative, infact they all make for a healthy personality as long as they don't cause you distress or impairment or cause others distress or impairment.

There are some arguments in academia as to why BPD should perhaps be subsumed under other conditions and these arguments are is not without its merits.

"Harvard psychiatry professor George Vaillant has traveled the country challenging colleagues to produce a single patient who has "borderline personality disorder" and whose condition is not better explained by an alternative diagnosis. No one has met the challenge. At the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association this week, the researcher Hagop Akiskal hosted a symposium titled "Borderline Personality Disorder: More Treatable Under Different Names?" He had in mind the minor depressions, certain anxiety disorders, variants of manic depression [soft bipolar disorders], and, of course, the addictions".

Many feminists are against the label BPD for the obvious reason that most of who are diagnoised with the condition are females. It should not be given to someone simply because they fail to conform to cultural expectations (eg promiscuity).

cheers

icu_baby

Think about it. In US universities at least, who majors in psychology in order to become a psychologist? THE BUBBLY, DITZY SORORITY CHICKS who aren't intelligent enough to do lots of "hard" reading, decipher social theory, or major in a real science. Psych is typically the most popular major for vapid, unintelligent types.

Eventually, a few of the hoardes of sub-par psych majors that the unis pump out will become therapists and the like. And during this time, they'll be confronted with all sorts of people who make them oh-so-uncomfortable! Teens who dress differently and cut themselves because Trent Reznor says its cool (or girls, like me, who read too many damn "real life" Teen magazine features and decided to give it a shot). And the spontaneous nonconformists who resist organizing their lives into an easily digestible narrative. The difference confuses them.

BPD isn't a diagnosis, it's an objectifying narrative, a trope, a label that the ditzy frat-girls turned therapists can use to reduce messy, complicated, 3-dimensional humans into a fully-knowable object - the Borderline Disordered Individual. It says nothing.

Fuck yes, I'm impulsive and spontaneous and passionate. I've no clue who the fuck I am, it varies situationally, except that I'm committed to the pursuit of fun and fulfillment. I find most people boring as FUCK and I've no desire for car payments, a mortgage, a husband or crotch monkeys - I want to always be able to pick up and keep trying something new and exciting my whole life, to live instead of just survive. If I had a cock, I'd be an All American cowboy, a hardcore rugged individualist. But since I don't, I just make folks uncomfortable.

I think the Personality Disorder diagnosis should be abolished and such illnesses should be looked at in terms of bi-polar, reactive depression, mild schizophrenia, etc: impulsive behaviours occur in all kinds of mental illnesses. You could also argue that some cases of PD are caused by the side-effects of psychiatric drugs (as in my case). Most modern psychological theories originate from the 1960's, when many students and lecturers were high on drink and drugs, and did sexual favours for another.

I think the Personality Disorder diagnosis should be abolished and such illnesses should be looked at in terms of bi-polar, reactive depression, mild schizophrenia, etc: impulsive behaviours occur in all kinds of mental illnesses. You could also argue that some cases of PD are caused by the side-effects of psychiatric drugs (as in my case). Most modern psychological theories originate from the 1960's, when many students and lecturers were high on drink and drugs, and did sexual favours for another.

Yes I agree I think BPD does overlap with alot of other illnesses and hence you can abolish it and diagnoise someone with a variety of illness. Just to add to your list, we must not forget PTSD and Cronic Post tramatic Stress Disorder, atypical depression, cyclothemia temperament, addictive behaviours (for alcohol and drug abuse and even cutting can be seen as addictive). I think there is a strong case for BPD to fit as a variant in bipolar disorder esp with new research showing differences in the pre-frontal cortex and limic regions which are responsible for regulating and modulating emotions, there a a few studies that show we have lower serotonin levels in our brains compared to non-borderlines and also that the condition is genetic.

To the extent that mental professonals are going to continue to discriminate against us by labelling people they dont personally like and use the label to punish a patient (which is highly unethical) or when they don't know whats wrong with you or discriminate against you by refusing to take you on as a patient because "they don't do borderlines", then perhaps it should be abolished and symptoms treated under varying illnesses if this means we borderlines will get better access to treatment and better quality treatment.

If you are so sorted----why are you seeing psychologists and psychiatrists anyway?

In fact, if you are so sorted - why are you here?

Have a fun life.

I have no other diagnoses than BPD. They've all been taken away since the psychiatrists say I show no sign of ANY affective disorder nor anxiety disorder nor any psychotic disorder. Nothing other than BPD. I can agree a change of name (like the ICD emotionally unstable PD) though and I think that's up for discussion for the new DSM. Where would PD's taken out leave me?!

And I have nothing to add to what others already have said about the original post other than that it seems highly judgmental and ignorant to say some of the things you said.

Wow a lot of anger here today! I just wanted to add that it took me a long time to acknowledge i was bpd and to finaly accept it took years, i think we also have to remember that that there is often other dx'es along with bpd. I dont agree the term pd should be abolished just people need to more educated into pd and mh problems. Thats where the ignorance and lack of understanding is.

And i do not agree with the comment about psych students beign ditzy etc, that is very ignorant and unnecessary.

damn it we all need to start being aware of what we say and how it affects others on here, sorry if im on my high horse today its just how i feel

Lou

Hi and welcome to the board, I think.

I understand your need to vent. Being label can be very disconcerting. I also get the impression that you think anyone in the mental field is a less intelligent. Just curious as to how many different therapist you have seen? It took me several tries to get one that 'fit' me.

Im sorry you feel that BPD isnt a real issue. With anything 'illness' there are those that use it as an excuse. I for one have found comfort and relief for finding a path to start my healing. Up until then it was more about taking this med or that med. No relief.

Some questions for you to ponder if you so choose....

I'm impulsive and spontaneous and passionate. Why do you say that like it is a bad thing?

I've no clue who the fuck I am, it varies situationally, except that I'm committed to the pursuit of fun and fulfillment. Im confused on this part. If you have no clue who you are, then how do you know you change? If you know what you are committed to, then doesnt that define who you are?

I find most people boring as FUCK Ok, how come?

I've no desire for car payments, a mortgage, a husband or crotch monkeys Thats fine. A lot of people feel that way.

I want to always be able to pick up and keep trying something new and exciting my whole life, to live instead of just survive. Im confused again... I don't understand how being content with your life is 'just surviving'?

If I had a cock, I'd be an All American cowboy, a hardcore rugged individualist. Why do you define that by gender?

But since I don't, I just make folks uncomfortable. Does it bother you that you make others uncomfortable?

Anyway...just some curiosity on my part.

I do sense you have a lot of anger inside. I would like to get to know you better. I do like some of your thoughts and Ideas. I hope you hang around and post.

I think anon's post is good because it makes us think about the diagnosis and the stigma associated with it.

There is actually some very interesting academic journal articles which argue that BPD should be subsumed under bipolar II for example. Psychiatry is not an exact science and I think we should all be aware of the differing views about BPD. I have already quoted from George Valliant who sees there is not need for the label.

When I was diagnosised with BPD I felt that I was discriminated against in hospital (I was verbally abused) because before I had even woken up I had the label BPD. I tried to convince people I didn't have it so I would not be treated like that again. I think Anon is feeling the same way I dd when I was diagnoised.

Now I am so proud of having BPD (I don't mean I love the suffering the illness brings) but I see people with BPD as highly intelligent, compassionate and sensitive people who cannot always regulate their emotions and I get so much pleasure challenging people who call us manipulative and attention seeking etc.

I think it is also important to note other peoples points of view or developments in research even if you don't agree with them. For example I found this article about how BPD is mostly a western phenomena:

Paper 2.

Borderline Personality Disorder: a Western-Culture Bound Syndrome?

Bernadette M. Grosjean, MD

Harbor UCLA, USA

The experience, expression, and professional construction of mental illness are

inextricably gendered and shaped by social status and culture. Symptom clusters,

recognized by a cultural group as an "illness," are called culture-bound syndromes

by anthropologists. This concept is useful as it brings culture to the attention of psychiatrists trained in a different cultural tradition. The concept is problematic,

however, and the designation of "culture-bound" can imply that the illness is

somehow "not real." Twenty years ago, this feeling prevailed among psychiatrists

in North America and Europe. The term borderline was applied to patients who

could not be classified in other ways, hence making it something of a

wastebasket diagnosis. Skepticism today comes from non Western countries.

Although no extensive epidemiological studies have been carried out to measure

the community prevalence of borderline personality disorder in different cultures,

the shared feeling is that BPD is more prevalent in North America and Europe.

Psychiatrists contacted in India and in Korea state that they rarely diagnose

patients with BPD. This workshop will explore the perception of the problem of

borderline personality disorders among different cultures. It will also consider how

socio-cultural specificities may affect the apparition and/or the outcome of this

pathology."

Welcome to the board..If BPD is not real then what the hell has been going on inside of me for the past 12 years ? I feel BPD in my life everyday and I know that what I feel is not some part of who I am, mainly because I do not know who I am. I feel your pain and am where you are at often as well. In my opinion BPD is real, I have studied it over and over and feel it"s madness every single second..So for me at least it is very real.

Hi anon, welcome to bpdworld.

Exactly what kind of proof are you looking for?

If you are so happy being you, whoever that may be why have you sought out a diagnosis in the first place. Were you hoping for something "better", a more popular diagnosis, or didnt you give a flying fuck what they gave you? Cos if its the latter, why bother in the first place.

And if you only started self harming cos you read too many "real-life" teenage magazines then Im sure you'll have no problem stopping doing it - unlike many of us.

We dont have to justify the dx, we fit the criteria, therefore we are - END OF!

Would it make you feel better if it was called CPTSD?

Dunno what you want, but hey, you aint the only fucking angry one here - OK!

Hey

WOWOWOW - What a loaded intro!

You have received loads of feedback here, let me ask you how do you feel about

all of this? Do you think that your black and white thinking may start to have some

areas of grey added? Maybe you need to do some more research for yourself about

BPD. The reality of it is sooo you have this DX now, how are you going to handle

it, what are your next steps? Its not a life sentence, there are very good types of

therapy available that you just may find helpful. If you do more research into it you

will see what is out there. You will also see people can be successful even tho they

have this DX.

Marchmadness

I liked your post a LOT. I like your attitude a lot. You've really made the case for us borderlines as being the interesting people in life who aren't "boring as FUCK." The only trouble with what you've said is that you haven't mentioned any of the debilitating aspects that you presumably experience if you've been given this diagnosis. Because, obviously fun-loving, impulsive, slightly lost people - libertines, bohemians, you might call them or indeed yourself - don't all get given this diagnosis...

So what is it in the criteria that debilitated you, causes you pain inside. To be (correctly) diagnosed with this personality disorder requires significant struggles such as chronic emptiness and fear of abandonment. Many people with BPD have histories of sexual abuse, or otherwise difficult pasts. And they hurt a LOT. If you don't feel your mental health is suffering then maybe the diagnosis doesn't fit. But why did you see a psychiatrist? Did you suspect mental illness? Is it not having ANY diagnosis that bothers you, or is it this BPD Diagnosis specifically.

Can I just contest ONE very important point about your post... Psychiatrists, the ones (in my country, UK, anyway) who diagnose, are all trained as doctors of medecine along with every other doctor, and then they go on to specialise in psychiatry, after years of extra study. THESE people are not your ditzy frat-girls.

Next question - if your psychologist/psychiatrist (whoever diagnosed you) had been a man, would you have become this defensive?

I just have to say that when I was first diagnosed it was with major depression, bipolar disorder. And anxiety I thought that it was a load of crap b/c I did not fit all the symptoms. I would switch my mood so quick that it surpassed the rapid cycling of bipolar definition. So when I went to the nut hut and they added yet another disorder I at first took it as just another thing added to my resume. After a week I decided to do some research about it and when I did I fell off my computer chair. EVERYTHING was me, how I felt and how I dealt. It was like someone was reading my mind, how the fuck could they put everything down that was me when some of the things I did not notice I did until I did learned more about the disorder.

So you feel its not real, well that’s how I felt about bipolar but as time goes on and you talk to more people and you do more research you will find that the extremes is what makes us different. And how we take in the world around us. You will notice just like I did with BP, and even though I still have a problem with accepting the diagnosis I recognize when I really fit the symptoms, and slowly you learn to live with it. Cause let me tell you ignorance was bliss.

:)

um excuse me but wtf are you on about??? seriously!

except the fact that you have bpd and it is real and move on!

I know for a fact that is is real. I dont need all the info I have seen it in real life

people I know, care about and love have it, and they even trying to get me diagnosed with it but im too young. I know its real and You need to except it.

stop trying to get away from it, or the illness will eat you alive.

As I said, it was a rant. My issue is with the whole idea of a "personality disorder," especially one based on such ridiculous and subjective criteria.

Yeah, I've got issues, and I've been seeing normal docs for anxiety and depression meds. Only reason why I'm seeing the head doctor now, the one who thinks I'm "borderline," is cause I found something more awesome than school (again) and needed a medical leave to make it happen and proof of seeing a crazy doc to keep my space open should I return.

And, well, from what I've read about the diagnosis and what she based it on, it's a joke. At least, that's how it looks from my perspective - maybe it was just a bad diagnosis in my case, but judging from the lit on it, I could see lots of bad diagnoses in this disorder. See, I do make unusual choices, put myself in extreme situations and react accordingly, and fall in love and hate fast. But that's OK with me. I'm not troubled by it - it's gotten sticky sometimes, but that's part of life! - but SHE is because she can't understand it.

Basically, I went in cause I had to and I hoped I might get some better drugs to treat specific ailments, and instead the doc decided that my entire PERSONALITY was diseased. Hence, anger.

I know about the anger... when I first got diagnosed with anything it was because i was showing my b/f that I wanted to keep trying to make the relationship better so I would go talk to someone to vent instead of punching him when it got to be too much. And they start labeling me after hearing about my childhood, it pissed me off that they judged me and my mental state by what happened to me as a child, "HELLO thats not what i am here to talk about!"

So yeah, the anger I feel ya on.

hmmmmph. well. you may find the criteria ridiculous, but to us...it is very real and very serious. as much as i'd like to go off. i'm not. i'm going to simply ignore.

you're gonna have a long journey ahead with an attitude like that.

nina.

Maybe you could think more about what that diagnosis means to you and if you are really happy with where your life is right now? Changes are possible, if you want to make them. If not, you can of course live with your life the way it is and continue to be impulsive, passionate, and what you consider 'fun' in life. You certainly have a right to live whichever way you choose.

I agree that psych is a very popular major. That is why I chose social work, which I must say the reading is by no means entertaining. Easy? Maybe. but, definitely doesn't hold my attention.

What are you going to do with your life? Keep living a borderline? You didn't ask for my opinion, but personally I think that would suck. But, you seem like you love it.

I have written/said such similar things in years past, so I understand your feelings.

I cannot judge whether you have BPD, so I won't be so presumptuous. I can say most of my psychiatrists and therapists have been upwards of their 40s and 50s. I refuse younger ones, despite the fact that I myself am only 22. I have been in treatment longer than most of these new ones have been therapists. So yeah, I understand. I do think however your post was incredibly invalidating to other people. There would be days I am offended. I'm feeling stable today, so really I just empathize.

Funniest of all, I am similar. I am eccentric and different. I always have been.

I'm labeled by society and the psych system for wearing black, having body mods, having interests in underground music, art, spirituality, etc. My life has been a whirlwind of drama and "excitement". It's my life story. AND YET, I would gladly trade it all to be able to get a place with my fiancee and our cats and settle down to a more quiet life. I'd love to have a garden, and a porch where we can paint and sculpt, write and do yoga, all our various enjoyments. Maybe I'm jaded already, but everything I am and experience became exhausting long ago. What may be labeled "boring" is highly desired by me.

Anyway, that was my personal crap, not intended towards you, just showing a different mindset. I'm glad you are happy where you are, and hope it is from a genuine place rather than an illness. In any event, your rant and feelings are valid and understandable. I would just be more mindful of where you are posting it, perhaps.

Archived