Mental Health Forums

Bpd Is Not Real

anon878

As I said, it was a rant. My issue is with the whole idea of a "personality disorder," especially one based on such ridiculous and subjective criteria.

Yeah, I've got issues, and I've been seeing normal docs for anxiety and depression meds. Only reason why I'm seeing the head doctor now, the one who thinks I'm "borderline," is cause I found something more awesome than school (again) and needed a medical leave to make it happen and proof of seeing a crazy doc to keep my space open should I return.

And, well, from what I've read about the diagnosis and what she based it on, it's a joke. At least, that's how it looks from my perspective - maybe it was just a bad diagnosis in my case, but judging from the lit on it, I could see lots of bad diagnoses in this disorder. See, I do make unusual choices, put myself in extreme situations and react accordingly, and fall in love and hate fast. But that's OK with me. I'm not troubled by it - it's gotten sticky sometimes, but that's part of life! - but SHE is because she can't understand it.

Basically, I went in cause I had to and I hoped I might get some better drugs to treat specific ailments, and instead the doc decided that my entire PERSONALITY was diseased. Hence, anger.

Have you read my posts above? Like I said you might have at least 5 of the 9 criteria. Secondly, like I said to get a personality disorder it needs to cause you or other people some sort of impairment and distress.

Having the diagnosis is not that bad because either way it doesn't really change who you are and yes, it seems that BPD has all the worst aspects of alot of other conditions rolled into one called BPD. But if you feel that you have been given the wrong diagnosis you can always get a second opinion. BPD is a diagnosis that overlaps with alot of other diagnosis and sometimes you can be mis-diagnosised when you could have bipolar II or something else.

I understand your predicament and reluctance to accept the diagnosis (presuming it is correct) as the diagnosis somehow suggests that your whole entire personality is flawed and people (and pdocs) who think this are just really ignorant and reflects badly on them, not us. In my day to day life, most of the general population haven't even come accross the term "borderline". My personality is not flawed because I have alot of friends and get on with alot of people. I just have emotional dyregulation in that things can bother me much more than most due to being highly sensitve and it takes me ages to "get over it" because I tend to brood on things, hence causing me significant distress and even impairment. But this does not mean I am flawed as a person, far from it actually.

The most important thing is to get treated for the parts of your life that are bothering you.

Hopeless is right. If you try to escape the illness then you are in for a very difficult ride, more so than if you try to just accept it and deal with it the best that you can. Denial and fear together will eat you alive. I wish you luck in your journey.

Hey -

You do have the right to your own opinion, and so do the rest of the

members here. So whats up with all that anger? How do you deal

with all of it? Do you know what triggers it? Are you looking to deal

with it with meds? Or maybe cover it up? How often do you feel the

anger like this? Do you often project things on to others? Have you

looked into the criteria DSM IV of BPD? Maybe you can point out the

differences you have about the DX with your therapist. Just a thought!

March

Good on ya!!

I respect your point of view. :)

Jess x

I already responded but I just want to second this.

There was full acceptance in anon's post about owning these traits, but the anger has come becuase she's so damn proud to be this impulsive and to find life so exciting and to do all these reckless things. And to be told that her risky behaviour and joie de vivre is pathological has come as a real damning shock.

And it's a very interesting response, and in no way belittling of other BPD people.... so I don't think that people need to be this defensive against anon. She's just had this diagnosis and is filled with healthy anger and confusion and doubt and just wanted to rant. Her attitude is a really strong willed one, and she;s clearly quite opinionated and a fighter so whatever happens, her prognosis for a good life is better than most. And that should be encouraged and I am a bit inspired I suppose.

Anyway... I just didn't get the same feeling of being criticised or belittled like some of you others did. So that makes me lucky too.

Basically, I went in cause I had to and I hoped I might get some better drugs to treat specific ailments, and instead the doc decided that my entire PERSONALITY was diseased. Hence, anger.

The 'D' in BPD does not stand for Diseased. I do not have a diseased personality, merely a 'disordered' or 'unorganised' one.

well if it doesnt exist a whol elot of us are getting the worng treatment lol

Diseased?!?!? I always new there was something wrong with me!

I dont see what is rediculous about the critera, but then i guess the criteria for every mental illness might just be rediculous too. maybe we all imagine we have MH probs when really we are perfectly normal and this is how life is and it doesnt get any better than this. Somehow i doubt it as I am sure the NHS would notwaste money treating "diseases" that do not exist. They are reluctant enough to help money wise without giving out money for nothing.

hi

just wanted to say thanks alot

for makin me who has bpd feel like

shit just cause you can live with it and find it fine

and great and it just you well for me it not as easy

and life isnt fucking easy with bpd for me i go through hell

with it as do many people i know too and this post has made me

angry and hurt and sad and feeling pathetic cause its people

with your kind of opinions who make having this illness

harder to live with so thanks alot for making me feel so much

bloody happier to be "diseased" in your eyes appreciate it

MICKEY

ps im been sarcastic alot in case you dont see that

as i feel you have a problem seeing bpd as a full instead of

through rose tinted glasses OPEN YOUR EYES AND RESEARCH THIS PROPERLY

then come let me know and ill listen to you then :(

oh and bpd people are actually the kindest must loving caring genour people i know alot nicer then some i know with nothing wrong with them so :P

well if it doesnt exist a whol elot of us are getting the worng treatment lol

Diseased?!?!? I always new there was something wrong with me!

I dont see what is rediculous about the critera, but then i guess the criteria for every mental illness might just be rediculous too. maybe we all imagine we have MH probs when really we are perfectly normal and this is how life is and it doesnt get any better than this. Somehow i doubt it as I am sure the NHS would notwaste money treating "diseases" that do not exist. They are reluctant enough to help money wise without giving out money for nothing.

lol, are you a member of the church of scientology!

hey,

it took me a while to be diagnosed with bpd but finally i was and it was a relief as it explained to me why i was how i was and i wasn't just a horrible, depressed angry person half the time!!! and it cant just be bi-polar because my moods can change from one minute to the next so much faster than in bi-polar!!!

i agree that people with bpd are some of the kindest, most loving, generous and fun people to be with as long as u can manage to take the bad with the good.

i think u need to accept who u r and what u have as that is when u can realise how to learn to deal with your emotions and find your own path to recovery and happiness.

good luck to u

Good on ya!!

I respect your point of view. :)

Jess x

I already responded but I just want to second this.

There was full acceptance in anon's post about owning these traits, but the anger has come becuase she's so damn proud to be this impulsive and to find life so exciting and to do all these reckless things. And to be told that her risky behaviour and joie de vivre is pathological has come as a real damning shock.

And it's a very interesting response, and in no way belittling of other BPD people.... so I don't think that people need to be this defensive against anon. She's just had this diagnosis and is filled with healthy anger and confusion and doubt and just wanted to rant. Her attitude is a really strong willed one, and she;s clearly quite opinionated and a fighter so whatever happens, her prognosis for a good life is better than most. And that should be encouraged and I am a bit inspired I suppose.

Anyway... I just didn't get the same feeling of being criticised or belittled like some of you others did. So that makes me lucky too.

I third that!

hey chuck,

to be honest, it is totally up to you how you choose to respond to your diagoses. if you think bpd is a load of crap, thats fine. we aren't going to tell you otherwise because we all deal with ourselves in different ways...whether its accepting the BPD and trying to work with it and understand it a little better...or whether we totally dismiss it and approach our own problems in ways unique to our own emotions

in my opinion, you are lucky to have been diagnosed. Its a tricky thing getting help and being recognised as BP to start with can be a long process. even if you don't agree with all aspects of it, it can be useful to examine BP traits, recognise them in yourself, then make a conscious effort to improve your own behaviours based on your newly obtained knowledge. it helps to comprehend thought processes and seemingly erratic actions.

good luck.

Magpie X

Archived