Mental Health Forums

Haloperidol

InterruptedHappiness

I used to be on haloperidol but I went off it cause It gave me constant twitches has anyone else been on it and has anyone else experiences this side effect on it? x

I had it when I was psychotic a few years ago, prescribed by the on call dr.#

I hated it. I slept for a week.

I wasn't awake enough to experience any more side effects!

Sorry to hear that! I too was put on it because of psychosis its meant to be the new anti psychotic with not as many side affects but obviously me or you didn't exprience that was funny I was put on medication for my medication because of the twitching

It was awful. I never want to be at that point again. I've been close, but not there thank god!

EDIT I meant at the point the drugs had that effect on me. Obviously I don't ever want to be that ill again either!

• 2 weeks later...

hi, imho its the worst med in the world!!! there are much newer safer anti pychotics out there.

the akatasia that often acompanies taking it is horriffic.

i ended up in an ER in the states on a holiday over it, the muscle spasm in my jaw were so severe i thought i was going to break my jaw and crush my teeth

- scary.

there are a few antidotes out there if anyone ever gets severe akatasia after taking haldol/serenace - benadryl is 1 over the counter one.

my 1st attack of akatasia occured on my 2nd ever day in psych hospital, bout 9 yrs ago.

i coud not sit still, concentrate, was horribly paniky and fearful- and hd an upset stomach from nerves, as i did not know what was happenning to me.

this was after a 5mg dose the night before..

i thought id really lost it altogether, and could not verbalise how i felt even to the dr, i just asked to go home. begged , lied, pleaded- he let me go home when i really should have stayed in hosp, and maybe got diagnosed then-this was in 2000

because of this experience with this drug, and akathasia,, i make it my business to research every prescribed med i am given to the nth degree. mum being a pharmacist also gave me an interest in medications- i used to 'run' a small family owned pharmacy at 17- my aunt, the pharmacist, would just check i had read and made up the prescription correctly.

twiches would be a 'mild' side effect- my toungue has swelled up and moved to one side, leaving me drooling and unable to speak.

i know for a fact that it used to be given to psych patients on the ward for 'punishment'. - if there had beeen a bit of messing r alchol consuption or dope smoked on the patio- the drs would investigate such incidents and often give th 'offending' patient a large dose of haldol/haloperidol.

cant say it enough - worst drug in the world.

the newer anti-psychotics are far superior.

regards,

annemarie

Archived