Mental Health Forums

My Prescription

brokenmind

im on antidepressants. 100mg sertraline. but they will only prescibe me a weeks worth at a time which is not only a farce but expensive. it means i have to pay out fucking 6.85 every week instead of every month like it should be. i know its my own fault for od'ing on them last time but it still fucks me off. i thinking whats the point in taking them, i dont see much benefit. well ive only been on them a week after a gap of 3 weeks of not taking them. i was only on them 6-7 weeks though before n i never noticed much. however i was only on 50mg then. i dont even want pills anymore, the thought of taking them makes me want to puke. which again is my own fault from the od. after taking 50+ paracetamol you fucking puke so violently its horrid. now i associate pills with that feeling n eugh its horrid. ok now i feel actually sick so im gonna shut up

hiya,

if you are on regular meds, get a pre-pay certificate... here's the link...

http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppc_intro.htm

u can choose to pay monthly, its £9.87, its a life saver, and if you do it online, u covered straight away

also, as you have to take regular, ur doctor should put u on a rolling script, where he prescribes you a month, but the pharmasist only gives you 7 days at a time, ask them about it...

i work for the ppa, so i know the rules, its caught them out a few times, u have to be sooo careful, some pharmasist are rite dodgy

thanks tray. thats really helpful info. <_<

i was actually wondering if you could do that rolling script thing, now i have the name for it.

the dr told me to just sort out my benefits n i will then have an exemption thing.

but that will take forever to sort out.

if u get a pre-pay, im sure you can get a refund if you start on benefits

there are many types of script he can do, like a controlled drug form, its a blue double script, and the pharmasist sighns it every time you get drugs, or a normal script that says the dates and how many tabs you get, and then there is also the repeat prescription service, where u only pay one charge...

are u on any benefits? cause u dont have to pay if u are... try and get them to sort it out anyway, good luck!

im not on benefits at the moment.

i wonder why my doctor didnt tell me all this when i asked him about it on the phone. he just said sort your benefits out then i can do a repeat prescription.

cause of the cost, pure and simple...

each surgery has a limit to what they can spend each year,

also the rules are really confusin, but u gota put ur foot down! its like people dont know how about the pre pay certificate, its a life saver for people on lots of meds... if u have more than two scrits a month, it saves u money, and they dont want that do they!

i see. i think i might get the ppc thing. but im gonna wait until i speak with my doctor next just to double check im staying on them.

thanks for the advice, most appreciated :)

• 2 months later...

You are lucky as I have the humiliation of not been able to pick up my own prescription , getting it from the chemist or holding on to it myself. My Dr will only let my partner do it on my behalf. I don't mind but you would think that they would be grateful to see the back of me if I overdose lethally this time ! Does any one else have this ?

you can only get a refund from teh day you apply for the card.

i've used one for years.

am 10 months into this one and i have saved £3000 i kid you not!

You get treated like a child when you have borderline personality disorder and the CMHT treats you like s***t ! I wont have anything to do with them now and my GP has to look after me but GP's aren't psych's !

I think you have gotten really good advice here but I wanted to add something on a different note.

You say you don´t feel any different yet on the Sertraline after a week?? Well it takes at least two weeks for this med to kick in and for you to start noticing a difference. If you don´t feel a difference still in a few weeks talk about it with your doc and maybe you need a higher dose, 100mg is still a low dose.

Also the med might not be a miracle med but even if it helps just a little that can make a big difference as every little bit helps.

So I hope you can hang in there and give it a good go.

Lilly

Regardless of your benefit status you could be entitled to free prescriptions through the low income scheme; people who receive incapacity benefit have to apply for this since anyway as it's not a listed exemption on the back of a prescription.

http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/HC1_form.htm

You can claim money back, but make sure you request an NHS receipt when you cash and pay for your prescriptions (it's a double sided A4 jobby the pharmacy complete).

Archived