Mental Health Forums

Changing From One Med To Another

rolleson

I just wanted to ask/ramble about changing meds.

I've been on Prozac, Citalopram and now paraoxetiene (seroxat). Mostly I didn't withdraw from one to start another. I just stopped taking the prozac, stopped taking the citalopram and then a few months or so later started taking the next med I was prescribed. I stopped taking my meds when I got into a bad place, suicidal and the like, and knew the meds weren't working. So I just stopped taking them and got prescribed new ones the next time I went to the psychiatrist.

I've had my seroxat upped, but the thought is, I'll probably have it changed. So what do I do. Just stop taking it then start the new ones? Certainly quicker. But I get this feeling most people will say it's a bad idea but I don't know why? If I'm already feeling bad and they're not working, how can the withdrawal make things worse?

If I just stop taking them, next month, I can be on new meds and working my way through those side effects?

Yea, no? Idiotic?

It's a royal pain in the arse isn't it. When i was going through antidepressants at the rate of god knows what i had a similar problem. The problem is that with antidepressants they take WEEKS to have any effect at all, you have to go through all the bloody side effects of each one too!

You should really have an in depth talk to your psychiatrist about this. Antidepressants never made the slightest difference with me, but as soon as they were switched to antipsychotics i swear i started improving by the hour lol.

At the end of the day its just trial and error, i was chopping and changing for about a year before i finally settled on meds that actually worked. Its a long and infuriating process but just stick with them, be firm with the proffessionals too- i know they are proffessionals but nobody apart from you knows whats helping and what's not.

You'll get there in the end, stay strong

Jess x

Archived