Mental Health Forums

'horizon - How Does Your Memory Work?' Bbc 2

kib0ne

I'm currently watching this program that originally aired at 9pm and I'm finding it rather interesting especially some of the theory around development and traumatic memories, I thought it may be of interest to other members too.

Here's the link to the BBC page about the program which includes clips:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes...band/tx/memory/

It's available in full to watch on Virgin On Demand.

I'm intrigued by the treatment trials with PTSD patients which involve using propranalol to subdue the emotional memory and going over the traumatic event (this done repeatedly) to condition the whole memory into not associating the two so strongly so that when the person recalls the traumatic event their emotions are much more manageable.

Hey Flower,

Well I was quite interested in the bio/neurological chemistry behind the trials but looking at it as a therapeutic intervention I don't think I'd rate it really. I think it's little beyond medication; just a bit of a quick fix. Which is a patient's prerogative but in my opinion I would seek to endeavour resolving the unresolved trauma through talking therapies and such. Something doesn't quite sit right with me about denying emotions around significant events or at all; my primary concern would be about the loss of those strong emotions and future realignment of the event memory and emotional memory and the impact that could have on a person, I imagine frustration if they realised they needed to realign them but couldn't just as how those who completely repress experience.

I think it actually echoes what's already somewhat in practice where patients will be prescribed anti-depressants or sedatives in attempt to subdue thoughts, feelings that might be seen to inhibit progress in i.e. talking therapy initially. I'm inclined towards the techniques used by some therapeutic communities where their aim is to withdraw medicated members of the community who present with unresolved trauma from medication and work with them and their raw emotions around it to resolve it, but of course in a TC there's enough support available i.e. 24 hours, on site, to accommodate that. However saying that resources are limited as many of us here are all too aware, and there's always going to be a multitude of other variables that contribute in determining the path of 'treatment' a person goes down or not.

From a very personal point of view I am looking to become a member of a TC since I have unresolved trauma myself and a number of offshoot issues that arise from that which I'm hoping I can address in a TC. Luckily I have had a fair amount of therapeutic intervention already that has given me the opportunity to find some resolution etc. Honestly though when I was watching this documentary last night I was thinking to myself that if I did not have the prospect of becoming a member of the TC I would consider participating in the trial; peace can't come soon enough for me now.

Did you get to watch any of the clips? If so, what did you conclude?

I watched the programme the other night and I found it really interesting too. I found the part where they said that in thinking about a memory it can actually change it fascinating. I didnt quite understand it, but i thought that with more reasearch great things,and i suppose alos terribe things could be done with it. Thinking about that again I'm not sure i like it as much anymore :/

I didn't realisethat our brains don't reach their full capacity until we're 25, I thought that it would be nearer 19. The only slightly worrying thing about that was that our brains start deteriorating when we reach 26, which doesn't give us much time to utilise our full brainpower. I'm going to make sure that i set as many exams and things that require lots of thinking around the time that I'm 25... hopefully that'll help!

Archived