Mental Health Forums

Can I Double My Fluoxetine Dose Is I Feel Depressed?

bored-a-line

hi i thought week 1 of my first go at meds was going well but i had a massive downer last night brought on by a self esteem issue.

it brought back old feelings of spiralling depression. i feel desperate. i want to self harm. i'm flooded with emotion.

i took my meds today but am wondering if a double dose might be called for. i'm only on 20mg anyway. id ask a doctor but its the weekend

NO! do not increase without dr say so,thats what i was on, i devoloped an allergy to it after i increased, it can screw ur liver up, if need be, call crisis team and ask advice first, or NHS direct

just called nhs direct.

they say call my doctor. but its saturday..gp is close3d.

whats worse.. self harm or more medds?

neither! if u call ur gp surgery they will have the no to the emergy dr, so u can call him ok? failing that, A n E! get proper advice... upping the meds wont help straight away anyway, u need summat to calm u down, they wont do that x

it still sounds early in treatment to do anything to the dosage.

give it time.

the weird thing is after 3 months of being on fluoxetine i increased it by myself from 20 to 40, because i cannot wait until i see the psych next. i want to see it makes me feel better if it does i'll be able to get him to up the dosage hopefully.

i doubt hugely that such a small dose increase after three months is going to have any side-effect. but its dangerous and risky i guess.

i dont care enough about myself to be put off by that.

i have valium but i dont want to sleep all day. its just that i felt so lucid a few days ago..like i have maybe never felt like before in my life and im just sodisappointed that i still hate myself so much again. ..how can i stop being so fragile. i cant operate like this.

neither! if u call ur gp surgery they will have the no to the emergy dr, so u can call him ok? failing that, A n E! get proper advice... upping the meds wont help straight away anyway, u need summat to calm u down, they wont do that x

but about 4-6 hours after i take my meds i feel quite different.. its not a rush but i feel "occupied". i dont know. i'm so sad right now.. i know we cant be happy all the time..but i'm remembering all the things that are wrong about me and it makes me feel hopeless

but about 4-6 hours after i take my meds i feel quite different.. its not a rush but i feel "occupied". i dont know. i'm so sad right now.. i know we cant be happy all the time..but i'm remembering all the things that are wrong about me and it makes me feel hopeless

What you're feeling is purely the placebo effect. Fluoxetine (Prozac in the US) is an SSRI and like all SSRI's takes around 4-8 weeks to begin to show any effects - if it's going to work for you at all. Upping your dosage on monday to 40mg or the max of 60mg certainly wont make you feel any better by tuesday. Anti-depressants take a long time to work for various pharmacological reasons, bioavailability being one to throw some jargon in.

With mental illness I think developing a good relationship with your GP is paramount to your eventual recovery and messing around with your dosages on your own back (although it's relatively safe to do so; other than the fact that the higher the dose the higher the chance of developing suicidal thoughts/actions) undermines this relationship.

Many people see anti-depressants as a crutch or as 'happy pills' but this just isn't the case at all, there's a reason you're started on 20mg rather than 60mg.

What's a far better idea than developing false highs purely from the placebo feeling of upping your dose is coming up with coping strategies for when your mood does plummet; remember there are several services out there aimed at helping people in a crisis - community mental health teams, on-call teams at every A&E in England and Wales, the crisis services offered on this website to name just a few.

Bottom line, don't mess with your dose unless on advice from your doc and it might be worth next time you pick up your 'script reading the leaflet that comes with it to give you a basic insight into how your medication works.

Sorry that was a bit long winded lol

Archived