Mental Health Forums

Maybe Wrong Diagnoses.

LadyMacbeth

I have seen my new therapist two times already and so she knows what I have been up to. I really like her and I believe we have already developed a good and honest relationship. I actually feel more stable now that I am seeing her. She talks to me as another human being. She told me yesterday that she wants to Make sure we are clear on my diagnoses. She does not think I have BPD and she thinks that my depression stems from my anxiety. I can tell from the first time talking to her on the phone she is not into labels as such. She dxed me for insurance purposes with a mild depression beginning with a "d." Can't remember what it is called.She told me she did not want my dx hurting my chance for job opportunities or grad schools.

I told her all about my symptoms with panic attacks and everything I feel is normal. She told me that when you have a panic attack you are still completely in control and she paralleled it to a disorder such as schizophrenia where you do not know what is going on. So I know I am not going crazy and I don't hallucinate before I fall asleep. Its normal to see images in your head before you fall asleep. I also told her about the night panic attacks I have sometimes and she said it does occur if you did not sleep that much the night before and your mind is exhausted and your body is trying to get right into REM sleep. You actually make up the REM sleep you missed from the night before. It may not feel like that cause you are still tired. She was going through the stages of sleep with me which I found rather fascinating.

We also spoke about my bad year at college and almost cried and she knew how upset I was about it. I am sure we will touch upon that again but right now she is focusing on the anxiety itself at the present time. She is really educating me on panic attacks so I do feel less anxious and for the most part less depressed except for here and there because I really miss my friends and NY.

i was also gonna say that lol

well this is a good development. i cant help wishing i was you cos then i wouldnt be bpd either :( but then again, agoraphobia / panic attacks are pretty damn tough - its never that simple. a problem is a problem eh?!

i feel i have verged on agoraphobia at times in my life, when i seemed to be becoming very much like my mother. but as it has turned out, the panic attacks i have are seemingly totally random and not something i can ever link to going out anywhere.

so is she trying to get to the root of the anxiety that is causing the panics? with my mum she never quite found out why it started. i think with her, her norepinephrine and gaba levels are well out of whak and she is only ever able to overcome the panic with being on drugs all the time. but this seems to be untypical for most panic attaack sufferers, so u may not even need drugs for it.

babes i am so glad u have good t now. you do seem better lately and thats excellent. you can beat this im sure!

love

xx

I'm jealous....I am trying to figure out how all my friends who are therapist trainees don't see me as BPD, and my therapist does, but she doesn't call it that....stuff labels, but I want to know who I am and a compassionate way of understanding the way I am and a way to recover...

but you're right, panic attacks and agora are no fun either...

k.

Claire,

You may wanna start researching panic disorder and anxiety. A lot of the symptoms between panic disorder and BPD are a like. You may wanna check oyt "From Panic to Power by Lucinda Basset. I started reading the book before I started therapy with my new therapist and I could not believe the similarities. Anxiety causes a lot of the BPD traits.

I still believe I have BPD traits but I know mine do stem from the anxiety of being rejected and abandoned. Thats when my paranoia sets in at full blast. She told me beforehand that if she recognizes BPD traits in me we will wprk on that after she finshes the treatment for anxiety. It could take awhile though. But I feel more stable since I have been seeing her. You may actually just show traits as well. But, I am not a doctor but from your posts I can see that you get really anxious as well and it offers triggers your depression.

My therapist has not pushed medication yet. She thinks this treatment can work alone cause its a three step treatment. Right now she is educating me on panic attacks and teaching me relaxation techniques. I think apart of the therapy is putting yoruself in situations where you could have panic attacks and that is scary. I found it interesting because she told me that you cannot pass out during a panic attack because the blood is rushing to up to your head and when you pass out your blood pressure drops and so its completely different. Wish I could explain it as well as her.

I know I still have issues with things I want to bring up with her though but through time I think we will discover it.

Try check that book out.

K,

Your therapist is right not to label it BPD. Everyone can show traits I believe but they could be rooted in anxiety, PTSD, depression. I don't get the impression you are BPD either. You may show traits but so do I. I actually think the label should be eradicated. My therapist even told me that many of the symptoms can stem from other things.

Can I bring some labels of my own too please?

(Kari... I think it should be right here - right now... sorely overdue.. what do you reckon?)

Archived