Mental Health Forums

Antidepressants..caused My Depression?

krazykaz

My boyf really got me thinking this morning

"zero to hero" "as changable as the weather" "up & down like a yo-yo"- his description of me!

"been taking new tablets for 10 days, they must be kicking in"- my reply

"uve been on/off them for 12 years, if you come off 1 ure bound to get withdrawals & feel shit"- says he

"but theyre not meant to be addictive"- says me

"but u have an addictive personality"- says the 'sane 1'

"huh....."- says me, i dont have a reply, that is true, drink, drugs, nicotine..!

"maybe its them thats fucked ur head up! if u hadnt started them in the 1st place the chemicals in ur brain wouldnt now be in a worse state than before u started the tablets"- boyfs words of wisdom

"huh....."- i think for a while...this sounds quite reasonable...but no Ive been off them for 6 months before & got worse & worse, they defo help me..omg but is the thing thats meant to help the reason im like this???

"so ur saying its not a real problem or illness & the its the tablets??"- says me

"no, im not saying that, its real to u & many others" "anyway im away to work, love u"- he responds....

Ok thank for that xxxx leave me thinking about that all day now!! Could it be true?? :wacko:

Some anti-d's can make you feel worse and some take a long time to get the desired effect, some can even cause suicidal thoughts in the beginning etc... And yes you can get withdrawal from them and no it has nothing to do with you as a person being addicted to them but your body needs time adjusting to you not being on them. I think what's important to remember is that all meds work differently on everyone and maybe this anti-d isn't right for you. Perhaps talking to your GP or pdoc about it and see if they can try another one.

On another note, I found meds made me worse but more so because I lost contact with my emotions completely, I'm off them (apart from when I need something to help me sleep) since 1,5 and feel better for it. I also got a manic episode induced by an anti-d that I know works for a lot of people so again, maybe trying another type will help you more. But again, that's just me.

You have to do what's right for you and what feels right for you, no matter what anyone else thinks (says).

Hope I helped a little bit.

Take care of yourself.

Ulrica

Archived