Mental Health Forums

The Doctor Who Hears Voices

yorkiegal73

Hi all, not sure if this has been posted anywhere else but Channel 4 are showing a program called The Doctor Who Hears Voices on April 21st at 10pm. The trailer looks really interesting. It's a true story about a doctor diagnosed as bi polar and the unorthodox treatment she had for it.

article about the program: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/he...elf-808941.html

Hi all, not sure if this has been posted anywhere else but Channel 4 are showing a program called The Doctor Who Hears Voices on April 21st at 10pm. The trailer looks really interesting. It's a true story about a doctor diagnosed as bi polar and the unorthodox treatment she had for it.

article about the program: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/he...elf-808941.html

I saw the programme last night and I think this "Doctor" (if you can call him that) May should have his licence revoked ASAP. One thing I hate is when you get these arrogant "mavericks" who blag and chance their way through other peoples' problems. I suspect he's damaged a lot of people, but you won't see them on the Rufus May Show.

I think the sole reason this chancer is practising in psychiatry is purely self-indulgent: he didn't like it when he was mentally ill, so he's now trying to run away from himself and the real possibility of his own relapse. Yes, he's grinding his axe against the doctors who really did know best.

Like any other branch of medicine, psychiatry can get it wrong, with serious consequences, but this clot is giving vulnerable people false hopes and the idea that offensive and dangerous behaviour is somehow acceptable in the wider society.

Is there such a thing as normal? Yes, there fucking well is!

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable having him as my doctor. It's obvious that he feels very bitter about his own treatment, maybe with good reason, but I don't think he should be practising if he can't seperate his own experiences from his patients. During their therapy she walked in front of a bus and disappeared for days on end whilst suicidal and he appears to have done nothing but wait for her to come back. I can really sympathise with her dilemma. Getting treatment would mean an end to her career as a doctor. Perhaps more should have been said about the prejudice of the nhs. However I can see her having relapses and where's he going to be then? She is still very vulnerable. I'd have no problem being treated by her if she was receiving treatment but I wouldn't trust her judgement if she truly believed my heart rate was being controlled by her fish tank!

Archived