Mental Health Forums

John Prescott

Tray

Just watching the news, John Prescott has aadmitted he is bulimic, what a bloody brave thing to do!!!

he says the stress of work ect made him binge and purge, and that he has been free of this cycle for a year now after 10 years of doing it, well i say well done to the bloke

he says he wanted to speak out to help others, and i am sure it will, a middle aged, overweight man of power can devolope bulimia, than anyone can, people always assume, as did i, bulimics are skinny, they not, cause i aint skinny, and i am bulimic, i never really saw myself as it before the pdoc said so, but he is right, i do the whole cycle of binge/purge...its horrid

so i raise my thoughts to John and say good luck to him....

wow that is brave of him especially as ed in men are not as recognised as in women.. sorry you binge and purge tray.. i binge and restrict but am in bad binge mode atm.. ed are horrible. hugs, bluebell x

Just watching the news, John Prescott has aadmitted he is bulimic, what a bloody brave thing to do!!!

he says the stress of work ect made him binge and purge, and that he has been free of this cycle for a year now after 10 years of doing it, well i say well done to the bloke

he says he wanted to speak out to help others, and i am sure it will, a middle aged, overweight man of power can devolope bulimia, than anyone can, people always assume, as did i, bulimics are skinny, they not, cause i aint skinny, and i am bulimic, i never really saw myself as it before the pdoc said so, but he is right, i do the whole cycle of binge/purge...its horrid

Doesn't make him any less of a jerk: just because he had a mental illness, it doesn't make him any less culpable for the state of this country.

I'm not sure that Prescott was ever particularly influential as a politician. He just seemed a figure of fun to Blair and his cronies.

I have to admit that my first thought was 'has he got a book out?' followed by 'well he can't have been very good at it. he's hardly skinny.' Shame on me. I was diagnosed with bulimia in my teens but have never actually purged. Can't seem to do it. I consider myself to be a compulsive eater rather than bulimic. I'm nearly 20 stone now and still binge every day. Sometimes i feel really jealous of anorexics and bulimics because they are able to starve or purge and i do neither, so my condition is very visible. That's not a dig at anyone here with an ED because i know they are all horrible conditions to have. It's just a stupid feeling i have sometimes.

If Prescotts revelations help people to be more open about ED then that's a good thing. However, he's not a very well liked public figure so it may make things worse.

Admitting to the world that you have an eating disorder is really really brave... I hope this will raise more awareness. Since people with ED's come in all shapes and sizes! And people are stuck on the idea that you can't possibly have an ED if you're not all skin and bones... :/

• 3 weeks later...

I think he was spurred by Kjell Magne Bondevik (former Norwegian Prime Minister) ‘coming out' about his plight with mental health issues fairly recently.

Doesn't make him any less of a jerk: just because he had a mental illness, it doesn't make him any less culpable for the state of this country.

Agreed

sorry tray ive got no sympathy for prescott, he was doing this at our expense and he has been making me sick for years.

i hope you are feeling better girl

Archived