Mental Health Forums

Autism, Autistic Spectum Disorder

dollydaydream

you need to talk with your doc. the fact is you don't have autism. autism spectrum disorder is a huge catagory that many people fit into. there isn't autism but there do seem to be some reactions, behaviors that fit in that catagory. there is help but you need to find out what you need to be working on.

good luck with this and let us know what you find out.

you need to talk with your doc. the fact is you don't have autism. autism spectrum disorder is a huge catagory that many people fit into. there isn't autism but there do seem to be some reactions, behaviors that fit in that catagory. there is help but you need to find out what you need to be working on.

good luck with this and let us know what you find out.

umm what do you mean `the fact is you dont have autism` are you my doctor, nooooooo, read again, my doctor gave me a card that says this person has autism, a.u.t.i.s.m. need i spell it out

hiya

the cards that are given out are generalised ones. They state autism and autistic spectrum disorders, basically it does encompass a very wide range of diagnosis.

Ususally with the autistic spectrum you have what is classed as full blown autism at one end of the spectrum which is more like when you see people who lock themselves away from the world, not speaking or reacting to the outside world, and at the other end you have disorders such as Aspergers Syndrome which can be quite mild and is more about how a person views the world and change and how their brains process information.

Usually a person is diagnosed with Austistic Spectrum Disorder when they show characteristics of certain disorders on the spectrum but not enough to make them fall into a defined catagory.

My daughter has Asperger Syndrome and her symtoms tend to be reluctance to and dislike of change, eating problems due to issues of texture and smell, rigidity to routine, and certain types of obsessional behaviour. She has other symptoms but they are quite minor.

It is worth googling the subject as it is a minefield i'm afraid but as someone who lives with it every day, if you want to ask me any questions feel free and i'll try my best to help :)

My son has classic autism and has no language. If you need any information on severe autism please feel free to ask.

hi, thankyou all for your posts, nicky, it was my psychiatrist thats diagnosed me, ihave ptsd, ocd,dissociation, depression, outbursts, and now diagnosed as autistic spectum disorder, waiting for information pack from the national autistic society.

stezzy, sorry your son has no language, i feel lucky im high functioning

rowan, i think im aspergers like your daughter, do you have trouble coping with her, my hubbys just split with me because ive been really depressed and having more outbursts and he couldnt put up with me anymore, hes changed the locks on our house, i cant even go home, and like your daughter i cant stand change so im finding it very hard and am living in a hostel

i do sometimes have trouble coping with my daughter because life is about change and theres nothing we can do about that, but she was diagnosed at an early age so ive managed to realise the best ways of distracting her when she gets stressed, and she has also subconsciously started to find her own coping mechanisms.

i think once you start reading about the condition you will see some of the descriptions and think wow thats me, autistic spectrum disorders can be quite eerie in that the similarities in people who suffer are quite astounding, there is a lot of literature out there about it, and about the ways that people adapt their lives around it.

the higher functioning side of the spectrum can often produce people with exceptional talents. My daughter has a great memory and her reading skills are far beyond her age, if managed properly high functioning autistic spectrum disorders can be little bother in everyday life. Once you are familiar with your symptoms, and you allow yourself to see what affects you, you can adapt.

It can be pretty scary when you first hear about autistic spectrum disorders because its such a generalised term but it is becoming more recognised in todays society, i would suggest you try and read around the subject as much as you can face doing because theres a lot of support out there :)

My son (hes 13 yrs) has aspergers syndrome and adhd.

He can be very hard work and am having real problems at the moment with him at school. I am trying to battle the education system, which does not help with the way i feel...

Sorry not very helpful , just thought i would add a comment. Hope you dont mind...

Archived