Mental Health Forums

Another New Guy!

jaythebird

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site....and actually new to any kind of message boards or chatting. My name is Jay, and I'm a 42 year old single guy from New York City - actually just moved here from New Jersey. My diagnosis is: Bipolar Disorder, PTSD ( from my wonderful childhood! ), and mild OCD. In my free time, I love to ride my bicycle ( 365 days a year or more ), make beaded jewelry, and custom greeting cards. I've been on medication for around twelve years, and have had loads of ups and downs in that time. All my life I've lived on the Jersey Shore, so moving up here was a big change for me.

Hey jay -

Welcome to the site. Glad to see you here. I have spent many a

summers on the shore. Hope to talk to you soon.

Marchmadness

hi and welcome! I am also new here. if you dont mind me asking how is your health after 12 years of meds???

hi and welcome! I am also new here. if you dont mind me asking how is your health after 12 years of meds???

Hi Janette,

I'm doing pretty well after being on 12 years of meds. My problems now are really more to do with life situations ( an ugly divorce in 2003, and separation from my kids ), as opposed to just pure depression and PTSD. It could be looked at from another way though: my life situations aggravate my MI symptoms, and I have had plenty of meltdowns. Which came first - the chicken or ......

I did click on your page today, and read your blog about Seroquel/tartive dyskenesia ( did I spell that right? ). From Feb. 2006 to around a month ago, I was on Seroquel, 100mg per day. It seems to be really in fashion, at least up here in NJ and NYC. I too found out about the potential for T.D. from an advertisement, not a doctor.....and I weighed the benefits, since I have had much interaction with two people who have T.D. Both of these guys got the T.D. from really old antipsychotics, that are hardly used anymore. They were also both on them for decades. It's not a pretty condition, and something that you can't hide from anyone - I'm sure it would be devastating to come down with, since there is no cure for it.

Primarily I was put on Seroquel to stop my nightmares from my PTSD. I'll have nightmares every night, and then flashbacks from the nightmares throughout the next day. I'll have to admit, the Seroquel worked fabulous from day one. Recently I was taken off the Seroquel, and put on Prazosin for the nighmares. Prazosin is actually a medication for high blood pressure, ( which I don't have ), but they found out that a side affect of it is supressing nightmares - through research with soldiers who have high blood pressure and PTSD.

Well, that was a long winded response, no?

Thanks for the comment.

Jay

hey jay we are from the same neck of the woods i am from LI welcome!!!

Hi voodoopinup,

Thanks for the welcome.....instant acceptance is a good thing in this world!

Jay

Hi Jay, welcome to the forums. What is your bicycle like?

Hey KibOne,

Thanks for the welcome. I have a Cannnondale mountain bike, 24 speed. I'd like to ride it off road, more than I do, but riding anywhere is fine with me. Now that I've moved to NY, I don't think I'll be seeing much trail riding. I'll probably start doing more rollerblading soon.

Jay

Hey KibOne,

Thanks for the welcome. I have a Cannnondale mountain bike, 24 speed. I'd like to ride it off road, more than I do, but riding anywhere is fine with me. Now that I've moved to NY, I don't think I'll be seeing much trail riding. I'll probably start doing more rollerblading soon.

That would be cool, blading around the city! I am into my bikes ^_^ I love downhill MTB the most but this is my pride and joy.

heartmybike-1.jpg

I've got some quads, but I need to lose the fear to learn to use them! Are you good on your blades?

Hello Jay,

Welcome to the site, hope you get any support you need from the forums

vicky

Thank you Vicky,

Jay

Hey KibOne,

That would be cool, blading around the city! I am into my bikes ^_^ I love downhill MTB the most but this is my pride and joy.

heartmybike-1.jpg

I've got some quads, but I need to lose the fear to learn to use them! Are you good on your blades?

That's a nice bike ( in the picture ). No, I'm not real good on my blades, but in time....we'll see. I'm motivated by all the skaters that I see in Central Park - or even just the ones that I see, buzzing aound all the taxis. Where I'm originally from in New Jersey, blading kind ot went out of fashion at one point, and there really aren't any paths to do it on anyway.

Archived