Mental Health Forums

Almost No Medication

Tournesol

Has anyone tried going whitout meds?

I've been dx Bipolar for few years than it changed to BPD, I also suffer from social phobia, anxiety, panic attaks and obssession/compulsion. For the past 9 yrs I tried lots of different treatments and nothing really helped, the side effects were often making things more difficult to manage.

Last August I stopped the Prozac by myself and my psydoc agreed to keep it off when I finally told him...in October!, I had less side effects of course and coped ok even at that time of year which is usually hard for me.

In September I had stopped my Lithium again on my own and told my psydoc just before xmas, again he agreed to keep it off seeing I managed well and he was not convinced anyway it was helping at all on my impulsivity control.

I kept the clonazepam 2mg/day to help with anxiety and stop the random/annoying/repetitive thoughs at night. He would not increase the dosage so I could take some during the day w/o having to reduce or skip the bedtime dose so I have choices to make now....either take 1mg before a stressful event or keep it to help induce sleep. Hard decisions but it made learn to cope better and find alternatives, most of all to change my "internal dialogue" and stop listening to my fears.

Has anyone done that? How do you deal with feeling yourself again w/o meds? I don't recognize myself...its been so long, I don't remember who I was I guess, I am discovering who I am and it not always pleasant. I know it is weird and I may not make much sense but I have the feeling I'm seeing the world around as for the first time.

Any advice?

Hugs to all

T,

It sounds like you are doing a great job of managing yourself. I think you proved that at least at this time of your life you don't need the meds. I think everyone is different and it is different for people at certain times in their life. hope that made some sense.

i guess my only thought would be for you to keep an eye out for signs you might need medications and don't take a stand against taking them if you need them.

good luck to you. Sounds like you have thought this out very well.

bets

Thanks Betsy,

I decided to try w/o the meds because I was tired of seeing no changes, I kept a journal and when I told my doc we agreed that I would tell him or my GP as soon as I felt something going wrong and we would reevaluate periodocally. It scares me sometimes, like an acrobat w/o safety net or something. Sometimes I feel things so strongly that I miss my meds however I am not working presently so I have time to adjust my activities daily according to my moods. Too wired...I go for a walk, if tired I have the luxury of a nap etc. It will be totally different when and if I return to work (I'm awaiting an evaluation for medical retirement...at 37!).

I'm new at this and am trying to record my days in a journal so I can go over with my therapist in between my psydoc appointments.

Thanks for your concern, I feel so alone lately and want so much to feel well.

xxxx

After many, many years of suffering with no

medication (none offered)and no therapy (my choice),

I am finally in therapy and taking 1 mg. Risperdal and

300 mg. Wellbutrin and feel mostly better on most days.

I've been able to stop at least three harmful behaviors,

and am working on being done with a couple others.

I wouldn't have even considered ending most of this

behavior before. I'd have had to bottom out first. This

way is better, though I hope I'll be able to go off them

eventually.

I started out on .5, so half that, and at first the constant thinking slowed down, and I was sleeping better, but then I don't know if I got accostumed to it or what, but it all came back. Anyway, I thought that was a low dose too, and I'm glad. Do you take it, and how much?

XXX

Ann

was on it till dip shit psyc freaked on the sudden death thing remember?

Was on between 4 and 6mgs most the time. was up to ten at one point for a few months but i really wasnt functioning at all at that dose. Just kept me quiet and sedated. Dont recall to much of that time at all.

Now take 300mgs of seroquel and its useless, the break through episodes are getting stronger and stronger.

miss my dear friend risp :(

hey

i dont take any meds now. i have been off meds for 2 years.

personally it was my decision to come off everything, because i found i had so many side effects that outweighed the advantages.

i wouldnt say i have really been any better or any worse. i think everyone is different, and you should see what works for you.

Archived