Mental Health Forums

Weight Gain

pompeyrich

I,m on Venlafaxine 300mg a day and Qutiapine 300mg a day and i seem to be putting on alot of weight can anyone help me combat this i,m trying more exercise and eating properly and not snacking but i,m still putting on weight 3 stone so far in 18 months.

Its starting to give me a complex and i,m feeling embarressed about going out!

Even my kids call me fat!!!

hi hun

i know with my meds im on different ones to you and there starting to make me put on weight and im

been told im getting fat so i can completly understand how you are feeling :hug2: could you go to

your doctor and tell him/her how upset you are over this and see if they can help you. and yeah exercise

and watching what you eat a healthy diet is a good start.

and remember beauty is whats on the inside not the outside so im sure your a very beautiful person

:wub:

hi, im on quetiapine too 300mls a day and ive gone from size 8 - 16 in 2 years, so i know how you feel! id never been fat in my life before taking the tablets and cant eat any less!! it definately the tablets, and when i moaned about weight gain to my psychiatrist she just said yes its a side effect and could i join something like weight watchers!! that really peed me off coz i just know theyd tell me i need to eat more, lol, but now i keep telling myself i need to be on the tablets and have resigned myself to not being size 8 anymore,

youre not alone, take care, ddd :rolleyes:

I'm on 75mg venlefaxine and have gone up 3 dress sizes in 9 months. I'm not sure how much is down to the med and how much comes from being inactive. I used to have a job last year. I hate it though. I feel like I'm being stared at every time I go out and I feel constantly uncomfortable.

I have put weight on too :(

Do you think you can combat this with healthy eating and such? or wont that make a difference

I think healthy eating and exercise will help. My problem is that I just can't find the energy to begin. Now that i'm not out working all day it stands to reason that my body requires less fuel, but I can't seem to cut down.

• 5 weeks later...

hi, i lost 4 stone after the death of my dad. i lost it in 6 months.- olanzaoine put it on me, i was always 9st.

and have stayed at my weight of 10 1/2 stone now for a while.

however, i have noticed yesterday a pair of trousers-a us size 8-uk size 12 are feeling a bit tight. i have been eating lately.

i am having a good week in general, but im fucked if im going to let the weight come back.

im on 400 cals a day plus 2 hours of excersise at least. i hate being fat - i know im going towards the 11 st mark with the way those trousers felt- tight on the are and thighs- uggggggg.

the 400 cals come from fruit. ive done tis b4- i was anorexic from 16-24 and then allowed myself to stay at 9st after having my second son.

my fav brand of clothing is lip service- and im a L. want to b a S.

when i was almost 200lbs- i was making a lot of suicidal plans. and actions.

does this sound f'ed up- i want my ed back?

peace

anne marie

I am really pissed off too as while I was on all sorts of meds. quetiapine, lithium, antid's etc over the past 3 years I actually lost weight and was a size british 6-8. Now I am not allowed any meds I have actually put on 7 pounds and feel really bloated- I can't understand it !

Mind you I did find that the meds I was on even though they didn't seem to work for my Bpd they did seem to help other physical conditions like pmt, bad bache etc - its mad !!!

absinthe, I too have put on quite alot of weight since being on olanzapine, 1 stone in 3 months to be exact which is a hell of alot the doctor is thinking of taking me off it because anti psychotics r an unliscenced prescription for BPD x

I,m on Venlafaxine 300mg a day and Qutiapine 300mg a day and i seem to be putting on alot of weight can anyone help me combat this i,m trying more exercise and eating properly and not snacking but i,m still putting on weight 3 stone so far in 18 months.

Its starting to give me a complex and i,m feeling embarressed about going out!

Even my kids call me fat!!!

I have lost 3 stone since coming off of Venlofaxin and Quetiapine. I am now on amisulpride and risperidone. Why dont you ask to change your medication? For me, being fat made a bad situation even worse worse. I do watch what I eat as well, though.

• 1 month later...

i was increased from5 mg olanzapine to 20 mg while i was in hospital.last i was 54 kilos and was ok with that now i workout every day and feel guilty every time i need to eat.i maen i ca't just eat nothing cos that makes my head go a little crazy. the working out(20 mins twice a day in giving me ack a waistline and i've stopped eating chocalate which i think heleps. the annoying thing is every time i see my therapist or pschiatrist they alwys ask if i'm eating properly and even though i say no because i'm fat they don't have any answer for that

its not helping my self image at all

helen

i was increased from5 mg olanzapine to 20 mg while i was in hospital.last i was 54 kilos and was ok with that now i workout every day and feel guilty every time i need to eat.i maen i ca't just eat nothing cos that makes my head go a little crazy. the working out(20 mins twice a day in giving me ack a waistline and i've stopped eating chocalate which i think heleps. the annoying thing is every time i see my therapist or pschiatrist they alwys ask if i'm eating properly and even though i say no because i'm fat they don't have any answer for that

helen

Hi starryeyesee,

Wow, that sounds really difficult. Working out twice a day must take up a lot of your time. I can relate to being freaked out about weight gain in regards to medications that I am on. But not eating well is going to increase your psychiatric symptoms. The more I give into my eating disorder (not saying you have one) but the more my mind obsesses over it. I use to be a normal weight and I was afraid of gaining more. It's been 7 yrs since I was that weight and I am terrified and feel so awful when I am within 6kil. This is just a path not worth going down.

Hope I'm not being too lecturing.

Quetipine is a big offender for weight gain,I've put 3 stone on since starting it nearly 2 years ago (not just down to meds though as I also suffered from anorexia so needed to put weight on anyway).

I'm not sure if it is the same for Quetiapine, but my friend is on Risperidone and has put alot of weight on because it causes water retention so has been put on tablets for this. She's only just started them but they seem to be working.

Perhaps speak to your doctor about this as a possibility. Obviously if it just down to the fact that the tablets are making you eat more(I know they do with me) then there's not alot they can do but it may be that it is more down to water retention.

xXx

Quetipine is a big offender for weight gain,I've put 3 stone on since starting it nearly 2 years ago (not just down to meds though as I also suffered from anorexia so needed to put weight on anyway).

I'm not sure if it is the same for Quetiapine, but my friend is on Risperidone and has put alot of weight on because it causes water retention so has been put on tablets for this. She's only just started them but they seem to be working.

Perhaps speak to your doctor about this as a possibility. Obviously if it just down to the fact that the tablets are making you eat more(I know they do with me) then there's not alot they can do but it may be that it is more down to water retention.

xXx

wow. I am so glad i am not the only one. I am on venafaxine 300mg and quertipine 300mg but i have put on 3 stone in the last 3 years so i have decided to stop taking the tablets. I have been cutting them done and last night i stoped alltogether.I have not told my dr as she will make me take them again. I am going on a diet and hopefully i will lose some weight.

helen

Hi starryeyesee,

Wow, that sounds really difficult. Working out twice a day must take up a lot of your time. I can relate to being freaked out about weight gain in regards to medications that I am on. But not eating well is going to increase your psychiatric symptoms. The more I give into my eating disorder (not saying you have one) but the more my mind obsesses over it. I use to be a normal weight and I was afraid of gaining more. It's been 7 yrs since I was that weight and I am terrified and feel so awful when I am within 6kil. This is just a path not worth going down.

Hope I'm not being too lecturing.

no not too lecturing at all, thanks for the reply.in fact working out twice a day doesn't take up too much time-20 mins morning and evening is all.and you're right its better that i eat regularly than skip meals then flip out bpd style. this happenned a few days ago for thet very reason.!

anyway thanks and have a nice day :blink:

Hi, I can relate, I've gradually put on weight over the past 2 years, a combination of inactivity, poor eating habits and ADs. I was put on Remeron 3 weeks ago and gained a huge amount of weight in that time, I was basically eating non stop, all day, every day.

Can a GP prescribe appetite suppresants or some kind of weight loss aid that can be taken with ADs? Or are the two never to be mixed?

I have been to see my gp about weight loss tablets as i have put on 3 stone but she said no. It is so annoying. That is why i have stopped taking my tablets. I know i will go downhill but i am desperate to loss weight so i am going to take the chance.

• 1 month later...

I have put on over 5 stone being on 25mgs of olanzapine. It gave me the appetite of about 3 people, I was insatiably hungry and it triggered terrible bulimia. My p-doc gave me 200mgs Topamax which stopped the bulimia but didn't make me lose weight. I'm still on olanzapine and haloperidol but I have lost 30lbs in the past couple of months by not eating carbohydrates. That really is the key to losing weight on antipsychotics, they love carbs and make you crave carbs. Giving up bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, sweet things. It's hard at first and you get terrible cravings but then your body adjusts to it.

nuclearwinter x

Archived