Mental Health Forums

Triggers? *poss Triggers*

lauren18808

I don't know how to ask this? But could a trigger also count towards all sorts of self-destructive motives or erratic behaviour i.e agrression, promiscuity, giddiness, binge drinking etc etc or is it confined to suicidal tendencies or self harm?

Or have I missed the point completely? Is it something that 'triggers' you into 'the crash' as it were, those nasty moods that we all have experience, and therefore the self-destructiveness and erratic behaviour. Now i've said that it makes more sense.

If this topic seems completely pointless forgive me, I crashed a week ago and haven't come for air since. I'm just trying to make heads and tail of whats caused it.

I was just thinking about a weird and random interlude of my life when I was about six. I'm not yet convinced it was abuse, just something that made me a horribly black person sometimes, and I know I'm not the only one, but I dunno, theres a bit of my brain that wants to ask questions even if I think I might know the answer, I need to ask, I always have to ask. I don't know why.

i think maybe u answered your own question already, but to me, if it helps, a trigger is something that keys in to your fragilities and that cannot just be taken as a single event / experience. it seems to tap in to an emotional loop in the brain and this loop connects with all previous incarnations of similar troublesome events. this is what sets us down the spiral. the event is symbolic of all other similar events and seems to set up a universal truth, from which u derive your mood and behaviour, your reaction to the trigger. you react as though all these events are happening at once and you cannot just look at the one trigger event as though it is a one off - it means something so much more.

well thats what it is like for me. xx

Archived