Mental Health Forums

How Do You Remember Your Basic Needs?

Lauren

Just realised i havent eaten in a few days. wouldnot have noticed if i didnt just vomit back up my meds (which ive also missed a few of)

I get this way when im properly depressed.Things stop registering in my head. I do things then do them again because ive not realised ive done them.

Wasnt untill 4 pm that i realised i still wasnt dressed. id dressed my son but not myself. Saw myself in the miror and was shocked.

Plus i lose track of the time completely.

Anyway i MUST stay on top of things like meds and food etc just wondering how you lot manage it? Or is it just me that gets like this?

i'm exactly the same.

if i lived alone, i wouldnt eat at all. have to keep asking my mum what day it is (again and again)

cant believe it is STILL tuesday.... :(

We all get that way. The difference is

that we might have another adult to help

us keep in line. My husband often reminds

me to go put my jammies on or to wear

my glasses. When I lived alone, I was

actually better at taking care of myself than

I am now.

when im doing really bad i tend not to dress, wash or eat i just stay in my bed, when im ok i usually shower/bath and have clean clothes every day thats one of the ways my friend measures how im doing she just asks me when was the last time i had a bath.

You certainly are not alone in this.....

I think remembering our most basic needs like shower, clothes, food, meds can be the most difficult when we are in a bad patch.

ONe thing that i have done it put a sign (just a pice of paper) on my mirror in my bedroom all it says is DONT FORGET YOUR GOALS..this might seem random but my goals ARE TO get dressed every day, to be OUT of bed, to try eat normally and to take my meds cause im aware that hwen i take them properly i am much better.

maybe puttng something near your bed, or bath THAT will trigger your self into remembering that you must look after yourself too.

hope things are ok for you.

hugs Daisy.

• 1 month later...

i totally agree with you all. i go to bed and stay there, it may be for a day or usually its for much longer...i dont shower/brush my teeth/dress/brush my hair or even make food for my teenage daughter. thats the only thing that sort of gets to me but it makes me even more depressed. the worst feeling of all is that im going to turn my little angle into a messed up adult like me...........PLEASE DONT LET THAT HAPPEN.....i couldnt stand it if my baby felt the way i do.

this is why i have to beat this thing or at least learn to live with it and manage to live a "normal life"....and "normal" isnt what im showing her....

i find this difficult as well. the way i do it is (and it doesn't always work, as you all know the mind is powerful) i listen to my body. i eat when i am hungry, i sleep when i am tired even if it is the middle of the day. i am an insomniac have been since i was 12 so i sleep when i can. i always make sure my hair is clean and i am washed because this makes me feel better about everything. i try to incorperate natural healing into my daily routines, like essential oils for relaxation or stimulation. i do everything in my own time. when i get really bad it can take up to two hours to get out of bed to go to the toilet. i do everything slowly. i like to make sure i am well turned out because i pretend that there is nothing wrong with me - i don't want people to know how i am feeling. so everyday living to me is like acting. i pretend and play. just recently i have been in a really bad way, but have been put on prozac and am (touch wood) slowing picking up. i am ina terrible way physically at the minute, dry skin, red,bloodshot eyes, aching muscles, headaches and i am soooooooooo hungry. like lady macbeth i have ocd traits and am slightly paranoid about cleanliness, so i have to be clean especially my hands and face.

i would say that you should really listen to your body and what it is telling you,

peace

beat xxx

Dear extinct,

It's not just you....

I live with my parents just now and my dad does the cooking for meals the same time every day so that keeps me quite organised, I'm lucky.

However, I tend not to shower or brush my teeth (eeew).

I make myself get up in the morning to go to the chemist before lunch for my medication as I get it dispensed to me daily.

Mostly I work around the TV shows I watch at certain times of the day.

If I lived on my own I don't think I would cook very often. It makes me worried thinking about it.

I like the sound of using Post-it notes!

Kraaken

xx

my family usually remind me to shower,eat,brush hair etc when they notice i'm not doing any of it

i only get dressed if i'm going out which is maybe twice a week for a few hrs as soon as i get home i change back in to pjs

i dress ,bath and feed my kids i just don't do it for myself, i do it for them bcos i want to make sure they are well looked after - myself i couldn't give a damn about

writing this i just realised i've had the same clothes on for 3 days,i've not brushed my hair or washed even - i'm so f*!$*%g useless!

.......I like to think that it is a late 20th/early 21st century obsession with cleanliness, showering all the time, pah! The French don't wash that much.

Bidets are a great invention, no need to have a shower....

k

xx

I havent looked after myself properley for over 3 years. Stuff like brushing my teeth and washing my hair and going out are 'novelty' things that mum has to remind me to do.

And somehow, people still talk to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed while I was in hospital, I looked after myself a bit better... I guess it was because I was scared if I didn't someone would notice.

Now, my sleep is erratic (yesterday I got up at 5.20am, went back to bed at 1pm, got up again at 6pm, went back to bed around 10pm, got up again just after midnight, and this morning went back to bed around 6am and got up about 9am :P) I eat when told to by my partner, I don't think I've bathed the last few days, or brushed my teeth (no wonder I'm getting holes!), I get dressed only if I have to, and if it wasn't for going to see my daughter everyday I wouldn't even bother really getting out of bed except to go to the toilet. I even forget about that too sometimes and wet myself, which is highly embarrassing, especially in public. If it wasn't for the computer I'd have gone crazy!

Archived