Mental Health Forums

"mixed And Other Personality Disorders"?

Dan:(

On the latest copy of my care plan this is the primary ICD-10 diagnosis given.

For the past several years I have been working with the everchanging professionals dealing with my case under the impression it was BPD (although similarly they kept this from me for some time).

I could maybe see where they were coming from by suggesting this label- I have been open for some time to looking at my flaws(in the context of past damaging experiences and weak/poor parenting).

However, I had my latest CPA yesterday and questioned the psychiatrist(who was mostly tapping his watch and picking at his arm or looking at the floor whilst I was talking) about this and he said the mixed and other diagnosis was a broad category that includes BPD. I had thought it was a seperate diagnosis to specific PDs such as dependent, borderline etc and have just had a quick search online which seems to confirm that.

I feel this apparent dishonesty is symptomatic of the cynicism and lack of care with which my case has been treated. I feel I am a particularly insightful, conscientious BP-I don't act out impulsively etc yet still, maybe because of this, have to deal with the usual shit where professionals feel justified in taking their frustrations out on BPs, not taking them seriously etc.

Luckally for me the professionals I work with haven't had alot of bad expierences with BP's and thus don't act out thier frustrations on me. My therapist has known me since I was 16 (I am 19 now) She has known pretty much the whole time that I have had BPD or at least until I was 18 it was only features of it. She usually deals mostly with children and so does my phyciatrist. They don't normally deal with many BP's.

For the past several years I have been working with the everchanging professionals dealing with my case under the impression it was BPD (although similarly they kept this from me for some time).

I could maybe see where they were coming from by suggesting this label- I have been open for some time to looking at my flaws(in the context of past damaging experiences and weak/poor parenting).

However, I had my latest CPA yesterday and questioned the psychiatrist(who was mostly tapping his watch and picking at his arm or looking at the floor whilst I was talking) about this and he said the mixed and other diagnosis was a broad category that includes BPD. I had thought it was a seperate diagnosis to specific PDs such as dependent, borderline etc and have just had a quick search online which seems to confirm that.

I feel this apparent dishonesty is symptomatic of the cynicism and lack of care with which my case has been treated. I feel I am a particularly insightful, conscientious BP-I don't act out impulsively etc yet still, maybe because of this, have to deal with the usual shit where professionals feel justified in taking their frustrations out on BPs, not taking them seriously etc.

I am sorry to hear you are going through that. I would be soo pissed off if that was me, and in fact, I am too!!

I had to pinch myself to check that I hadnt written this post .... Your experience is identical to mine and I am in the UK. I have found that mostly psychs are full of shit also, and have no patience. My therapist is lovely, but has worked a lot within the NAtional Health Service and she said that BPD has a very bad rep, and this is why its such a horrible thing to have. Simply put, they lack the training, empathy and BALLS to deal with us. If they realised our anger comes from feeling ignored, sidelined and alone then they would realise that distancing from us is PRECISELY THE THING THAT WILL SET US OFF. Empathy, validation, understanding, patience.

But unfortnately its easier to give someone with anxiety a dose of Paxil than it is to have empathy for a Borderliner, so "hey, screw you BP's. Its almost lunch".

Coming to the diagnoses, I know that most PD's have elements of other PD's. My therapist told me its rare to find a 'pure' BPD, and there will be little bits of others like NPD, shizoid, avoidant etc. Diagnoses are used as a shorthand between professionals, though it would seem that for Most Professionals, PD actually stands for 'Psychiatric Dustbin'.

Mehh

<<< very cross

I am sorry to hear you are going through that. I would be soo pissed off if that was me, and in fact, I am too!!

I had to pinch myself to check that I hadnt written this post .... Your experience is identical to mine and I am in the UK. I have found that mostly psychs are full of shit also, and have no patience. My therapist is lovely, but has worked a lot within the NAtional Health Service and she said that BPD has a very bad rep, and this is why its such a horrible thing to have. Simply put, they lack the training, empathy and BALLS to deal with us. If they realised our anger comes from feeling ignored, sidelined and alone then they would realise that distancing from us is PRECISELY THE THING THAT WILL SET US OFF. Empathy, validation, understanding, patience.

But unfortnately its easier to give someone with anxiety a dose of Paxil than it is to have empathy for a Borderliner, so "hey, screw you BP's. Its almost lunch".

Coming to the diagnoses, I know that most PD's have elements of other PD's. My therapist told me its rare to find a 'pure' BPD, and there will be little bits of others like NPD, shizoid, avoidant etc. Diagnoses are used as a shorthand between professionals, though it would seem that for Most Professionals, PD actually stands for 'Psychiatric Dustbin'.

Mehh

<<< very cross

Ross I understand you are cross!

I think that you have a great therapist but I can't help but laugh....I think every human being for that matter have bits of NPD, shizoid, bpd, avoidant, dependent (ex anti-social) etc....and I mean everyone - print out the criteria for all personality disorders and show a so called "normal person" and I guarantee you that they will say "yeah I got that".

All I know is that psychiatrists are high on NPD.

I think you have to remember that sometimes MH professionals are "brainwashed". I remember someone saying when you enter a profession you see everything through your professions eyes eg if you are a dentist, when you are talking to someone you probably concentrate more on looking at their teeth than eyes.

One day my pdoc was telling me how she had 10 chocolate easter eggs and she thought to herself "obessive compulsive disorder" - if I saw her eating those eggs I would have thought to myself - chocoholic not OCD. So any small normal trait resembles a disorder of some kind to them.

I think it was more the delusions of grandeur that I have recalled, and especially suspecting I was the second coming of Christ that tipped her off, I think ... I wish I was joking :blink:

Archived