Mental Health Forums

Hello.

Inachus io

I'm very new to this. It was only Monday when I was sitting in a strange office at the clinic, with my fingers laced together so tightly that they hurt and clenching my jaw to keep my lips from trembling and swallowing against a lump in my throat and thinking fiercely to myself I will not cry, I will not cry in front of these men when I heard it--

"--An extremely low tolerance to stress," the psychiatrist--this stranger who had only made my aquaintance forty minutes before--said, and my regular counselor typed it into the computer. "Diagnosis--Borderline Personality Disorder, severe."

The bottom dropped out from under me. I was falling, and as I plummeted my memory sought and found the little I knew associated with those words--Marilyn Monroe suffered from that. The abnormal psychology textbook I'd read said that Borderlines saw little success in treatment. That Borderlines were prone to a life of drama and crisis, their paths strewn with destroyed relationships, dashed ambitions, striving forever for happiness and doomed to disappointment, forever.

And I remembered that Marilyn Monroe had killed herself, in the end.

I went home. I went into my room. I closed the door behind me, and went to bed--

--and the first thing I thought when I woke up was, God, I'm empty. And then I thought, Oh, stow it. Get up and find out what this thing is. one column in a textbook read fifteen years ago isn't enough knowledge.

And so I hit the internet, and plummeted once more. You see, the first thing I found was a support site for people who live(d) with people suffering from BPD. It started out bad, and it got worse from there - people describing moody, abusive, screaming, violent, spiteful people. People who would never stop demanding, never stop expecting, always hungry and never full--tactics on defending from these people in divorces, and tons of horror stories. I couldn't stop reading it. Couldn't stop thinking, Oh no. I'm a monster. Am I really that horrible? Have I left people behind like this? I must have. People must hurt like this, because of me.

And then I thought, Oh, stow it. Are you truly that bad? Did you never act in a way to lessen hurt to people? Those people are venting poison, that's all--they're spitting it out. Maybe if they spit it all out, they'll be better after.

And so I left there and took a look at some other sites, explaining more about BPD. After a while, I thought, Huh. sounds like every teenager I know. That made me laugh. And I kept reading, and looking around, and realizing that I was going to need to talk to people about this.

And so I found here. And discovered that I'd have to post and introduce myself, and thought--

But I don't know what to say!

And looking at all that I wrote, I just have to laugh. Not bad, for tongue-tied.

Wow. Are you a drama screen play writer? You are good at writing...anyhoo. Well, first......"it" DOES suck! But...it's not a horror film or the end of the world to have BPD or anything else. I'm sure you will find this place quite pleasant. Welcome to our place. I hope that we can be of some help to you in the future. Keep your chin up.

Wow.  Are you a drama screen play writer?  You are good at writing...anyhoo.  Well, first......"it" DOES suck!  But...it's not a horror film or the end of the world to have BPD or anything else.  I'm sure you will find this place quite pleasant.  Welcome to our place.  I hope that we can be of some help to you in the future.  Keep your chin up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, thanks. I've been spending the last five years devoting myself to writing well, but mostly I write Science Fiction. I'm mostly having a look around to see what there is to see.

Welcome Inachus!

This is a GREAT place to learn, to talk, to vent, to meet some very terrific people who truly understand what it is like.

I am looking forward to getting to know you and talking with you!

Chelle :)

Archived