Mental Health Forums

Epival (divalproex)

kitty1985

I am wondering if anyone has ever been on this medication? I am on an extremely low dose right now (500mg) because I have had some trouble tollerating meds in the past..

I am taking this for my moods - my doctors are trying to determine if i am also bipolar as well as BPD... I havent noticed a change so far but its still tooo early to tell...

anyways, my issue is this:

i want to get help and i want to be mentally healthy and productive, but i am so terrified of gaining weight. I gained alot of weigfht on other medication, and I struggle with an eating disorder so its important to me that my weight does not drastically increase.

Has anyone had any experience with this drug?

Also, any advice on how to deal with this? I know that my moods need to be controlled and they are getting more severe and frequent - but i just cant even imagine how I would be if I gained weight... I'm trying not to be vain or petty - im just really stressed about this.

sorry for the long message, but any advice would be really appreciated

Hi Kitty

I hope this medication helps you with your moods.

Weight gain is one of the side-effects of the medication you're on... HOWEVER, it is very low down on the list and is not one of the common side-effects.

If you are concerned about unnecessary weight gain, and you do see you are gaining weight, however slight it may be, and you think it could be the medication, it would be best to contact your doctor immediately and discuss it with him.

Mitzi

Archived