Mental Health Forums

My Girlfriends Anorexia Forced By Duality

mix1991

I've know "X" for a while now, we've been seeing each other for over a month. We are both young i'm 16. But shes hinted towards some thing that used to be wrong with her. I didnt want to rush her, and over time ive gained her trust. Shes just told me she has anorexia and has done for a few years. Im the only person who knows though, after a long convosation about that it turns out that she dosnt want to stop it after i suggested we fought it togetter. She said that she has a voice in her head, some kind of duality called "Y".

"Y" apparantly tells her to starv her self, that shes fat, ugly and hopless. I dont know what her condision is, but she dosnt want to lose "Y" shes her friend and apparantly helps her become better looking.

She dosnt want to stop being anorexic, because "Y" would hate her for it. She wants to be skinny, as in the extreme

http://sidaorg.files.wordpress.com/2...norexia4lp.jpg

As in that! shes not fat, and im not just saying that. She says that she and "Y" both want this, and they would gladly die for it.

I love "X" so much, I will stand by her through this but i really dont know what to do. She hasnt told anybody not even her mum and dad, shes scared they would send her off to be cured which ofcourse she dosnt want.

Ive applyed for this forum in a rush, i really dont know what to do. If there are doctors that help out on this site and that are willing to help i would gladly privatly send them an exact convosation I had with her over an email instant messanger.

she told me all this recently and I dont know this but i feel things will change with us, i really didnt feel like i was talking to "X" it didnt sound like her, i think i was talking to "Y"

please help, what should I do? what has she got? Is there some way I can fight "Y" to get my girlfriend back?

alot of sufferers give anorexia an identity, theres a whole pro ana movement about it where they call it ana and ana is there friend.

i dont do this but i dont want to get better because being better would be being fat, and i cant do that, accepting help would be accepting them making me fat..

anorexia is a complex condition which i believe in a lot of cases never goes away, is something that has to be learned to live with, and hopefully you will get stronger then it over time, you need to be there for yr gf but dont try and force her to do this as she a may not be ready for it and b may not want to at the moment

*hugs*

I think it's very important that you keep letting her know that you love her, and that there are many other people that love her too. Recovery is something a person must WANT, because if a person don't really want recovery, it's likely that as soon as they get a chance they will fall back into old Anorexia behaviour.

I can't really give advice, but I think what I'd do, is just keep telling her I love her, and try to motivate her into recovery. If things get too dangerous, she's fainting, underweight etc, then I do think you should tell her parents, or at least motivate her to see a doctor. It's for her own good.

It's a very very destructive and complicated sickness... and I hope she will choose to fight for her life.

As someone who has long suffered with bouts of anorexia/bulimia, the one thing that you really need to remember is, dont fuss over her too much and dont make her get help, by doing that you will break her trust and she will become secretive, you need to be there for her when she needs you but remember that she wil get help when she is ready!

x

i agree with everything everyone else has said, unless she is in immediate danger pushing or forcing her to do anything will make her mistrust you, the illness does funny things to you, and you can be more cunning then a spy if the need arises, its better you know what shes doing.

Archived