Mental Health Forums

Affective Personality Disorder

EH1

Hello All

I asked my doctor what my diagnosis was the other day and he said AFFECTIVE PERSONALITY DISORDER and Bipolar disorder. Well I thought I was borderline but I guess he see's thing differently. After looking up affective personality disorder (a new one on me) most sites point out that this is also known as cyclothymic personality disorder. Well I have heard of cyclothymic disorder but cyclothymia as a personality disorder I have not. Maybe they are the same which some sites seem to point out. One site in particular does make it appear quite different though http://www.ptypes.com/cyclothymicpd.html ....I spose I am wondering if anyone else has information on this or maybe understands it. There seems to be very little on it as a PD.

Thanks all and wishing you a nice day

Hello All

I asked my doctor what my diagnosis was the other day and he said AFFECTIVE PERSONALITY DISORDER and Bipolar disorder. Well I thought I was borderline but I guess he see's thing differently. After looking up affective personality disorder (a new one on me) most sites point out that this is also known as cyclothymic personality disorder. Well I have heard of cyclothymic disorder but cyclothymia as a personality disorder I have not. Maybe they are the same which some sites seem to point out. One site in particular does make it appear quite different though http://www.ptypes.com/cyclothymicpd.html ....I spose I am wondering if anyone else has information on this or maybe understands it. There seems to be very little on it as a PD.

Thanks all and wishing you a nice day

Jesus Christ, why does every mental illness have to be a personality disorder? It's a loose term for mild depression: you won't find APD is any respectable medical textbook, although the internet is another matter. I wish doctors would just stick to the DSM; at least they know what they're talking about.

Archived