Mental Health Forums

Binge Eating

recurrencebat

Hi guys,

Can see there's a lot about binge eating on here and a lot of you are saying to go to the docs and get help. I definitely do it and have reached 13st at 5'3. Might be partly meds, not sure yet, but my relationships with food definitely isn't healthy. For those of you who have been in the same place, what tips can you give me for overcoming this problem? I will mention it to the doc but I thought I'd ask you all for advice too.

Cheers,

Becca

xx

Hi becca,

i am 5'6 and went over the 200lb mark 18 mths ago- mainlly due to meds- (zyprexa, epilim) and a guy i was seeing for a good while-i turned to food for comfort as i got none from him, it was a v unhealthy relationship.

my bmi peaked at 34. i was dreadfully unhappy, as my normal weight for my adult life was 120-130.

there are lots of scams on the net - you know the ads you see online, and loads of diets that are bunkum also

i started to lose a bit when i stopped those meds, but i bought a recumbent stationary bike, one of the ones with a comfy seat! 170 euro from argos, and i joined www.sparkpeople.com. totally 100% free. theres forums for depression , bipolar, bpd, as well as video excercises, your own page, lots of motivation and support- it has so many features i cant even list them. and its free cos some guy had an auction site, sold it to ebay 2 years ago, made millions, and made the best diet, nutrition, fitness, basic excersises, community there is on the net. any site with half its feaures are all pay sites!

no i dont work for them but i did lose over 60 lbs using the tools and advice in 6 months.. and have kept it off for over a year.

binge eating is dealt with on the site too, and its very friendly. i put my weight on from night binges on cakes & choccy-my enemy. they release serotonin, making you feel comforted. but i was so embarrassed and upset at the weight i was. do you mind me asking what meds you are on?

there are certain meds worse than others. some have no weight influence at all, others- esp zyprexa, are the worse culprits.

but drs are understanding of the risk of getting diabetes from psych meds cos of the extra weight you can put on, and if yo speak to your prescribng dr, theres a good chance they will be sympathetic.

glad you are going to the for for help w the binge eating .

ps- im still a bit obsessed with weight and weight issues. im almost happy in my own skin now as i am no longer overweight- bmi of 24, but in my own mind id take off another 40.... i did find that site good for help with my ED. i was anorexic as a teen. bullemic in my 20's..

Hope this helps,

Anne marie

Hi becca,

i am 5'6 and went over the 200lb mark 18 mths ago- mainlly due to meds- (zyprexa, epilim) and a guy i was seeing for a good while-i turned to food for comfort as i got none from him, it was a v unhealthy relationship.

my bmi peaked at 34. i was dreadfully unhappy, as my normal weight for my adult life was 120-130.

there are lots of scams on the net - you know the ads you see online, and loads of diets that are bunkum also

i started to lose a bit when i stopped those meds, but i bought a recumbent stationary bike, one of the ones with a comfy seat! 170 euro from argos, and i joined www.sparkpeople.com. totally 100% free. theres forums for depression , bipolar, bpd, as well as video excercises, your own page, lots of motivation and support- it has so many features i cant even list them. and its free cos some guy had an auction site, sold it to ebay 2 years ago, made millions, and made the best diet, nutrition, fitness, basic excersises, community there is on the net. any site with half its feaures are all pay sites!

no i dont work for them but i did lose over 60 lbs using the tools and advice in 6 months.. and have kept it off for over a year.

binge eating is dealt with on the site too, and its very friendly. i put my weight on from night binges on cakes & choccy-my enemy. they release serotonin, making you feel comforted. but i was so embarrassed and upset at the weight i was. do you mind me asking what meds you are on?

there are certain meds worse than others. some have no weight influence at all, others- esp zyprexa, are the worse culprits.

but drs are understanding of the risk of getting diabetes from psych meds cos of the extra weight you can put on, and if yo speak to your prescribng dr, theres a good chance they will be sympathetic.

glad you are going to the for for help w the binge eating .

ps- im still a bit obsessed with weight and weight issues. im almost happy in my own skin now as i am no longer overweight- bmi of 24, but in my own mind id take off another 40.... i did find that site good for help with my ED. i was anorexic as a teen. bullemic in my 20's..

Hope this helps,

Anne marie

Thanks Anne Marie,

That's really interesting, I'll check it out definitely.

I'm on pregabalin (lyrica) and aripiprazole (abilify) and also on cilest (contraceptive). My doc reckons the pregabalin might be causing the weight gain, and I've seen on wiki that aripiprazole can also cause it. But it might just be the contraceptive, so I'll try changing that one first. I love my pysch drugs, they work wonders! But yeah, all three are bad for weight gain, not good.

Eek, according to a BMI measurement online I'm obese, BMI 32.2... :(

Becca

x

hey.... I really cant give much advice on this im afraid.... For me i am either bingeing or in a bulimic/anorexic mode.

I really find it hard to have a healthy relationship with food.

I am reading a book though that does give some good advice.

Make sure that there is plenty of food in the house.....not junk more the healthy food....then if you binge then at least it is healthy....you can work on decreasing the size of servings at a later stage :)

Thats all i've got....sorry.

Christine

hey.... I really cant give much advice on this im afraid.... For me i am either bingeing or in a bulimic/anorexic mode.

I really find it hard to have a healthy relationship with food.

I am reading a book though that does give some good advice.

Make sure that there is plenty of food in the house.....not junk more the healthy food....then if you binge then at least it is healthy....you can work on decreasing the size of servings at a later stage :)

Thats all i've got....sorry.

Christine

Thanks Christine, good plan.

Although my mum tends to buy the food, there usually is plenty good stuff. Just I go for the bad haha. What's the book you're reading?

Becca

x

Hello there,

Its a struggle isn't it!!

I have learned that it is important to realize that food is not the problem but rather why you eat,there is usually an underlying problem. For instance it can be a form of self medicating to help us feel better when we feel bad, to help us deal with emotions that we find hard to deal with.

A thing you might want to try is to when you feel the need to binge to sit down and write down for yourself what it is that is troubling you in that moment, what is it you want to "solve" with food and see if you can think of other ways to deal with what is bothering you.

Good luck with it and good luck at the docs.

Lilly

Hello there,

Its a struggle isn't it!!

I have learned that it is important to realize that food is not the problem but rather why you eat,there is usually an underlying problem. For instance it can be a form of self medicating to help us feel better when we feel bad, to help us deal with emotions that we find hard to deal with.

A thing you might want to try is to when you feel the need to binge to sit down and write down for yourself what it is that is troubling you in that moment, what is it you want to "solve" with food and see if you can think of other ways to deal with what is bothering you.

Good luck with it and good luck at the docs.

Lilly

Cheers, Lilly, that's a really good plan - I'll definitely do that :).

My sister also said try drinking a pint of water whenever you feel the need to binge to fill yourself up. Going to try that too!

Becca

x

The book that I was reading is called good girls do swallow written by Rachel Oakes-Ash.

It is a bibliography of someone who suffers from an eating disorder.....The advice that is in it is just some things that were written by her that people advised her.

Archived