Mental Health Forums

I Can't Even Go To The Shops

pinklady66

I have been having a real phobia with going to the malls. I get in there and I want to go right back out. I know that I have to pick up something or do my groceries. I make it an effort to get what I need and get the hell out of there in a hurry.

I only feel secure when with my friends or not going out at all. I am trying everyday to combat the fears. I hate going in there and thinking that everyone is staring at me. I start to sweat and in my mind, I tell them all to fuck off. I can't get it in my head that everyone is just as weird as I am. We all have our quirks.

Does anyone out there get their fears about being out in public???

Depends - sometimes any noise or crush or people to close sends me crazy. I don't panic I just retreat inside. Other times I am more than fine - almost leading the conga!! And the pissy thing is I never know til I get there!!

Yes, I had my first panic attack in a mall when I was like 15 so I feel really weird when I go in. Now that I am having panic attacks again I have not been in in awhile. A few weeks ago after my first CB therapy appt. I did actually go to the mall and I was fine. Because she told me I am in no danger what soever...I always feel like I will pass out or get rushed to the hospital but she explained to me that when your having a panic attack your blood pressure is pumping to your head so you can't pass out so I felt more secure. I hate grocery stores as well..I just want to get in there and get the fuck out. I have been having problems in restuarants as well too. I am actually better when I am with my friends though. I feel anxious on a transit bus but I can deal with a train because its bigger and you can walk around and I know I can get off at any stop. But, its still frightening.

Thanks LM: My therapist also told me that I am in no danger either. I was talking to him today about it. I am going to do the mall thing gradually to try and ease my fears. It's going to be hard, but I will fight it.

I am very elevator phobic too. I will walk up the stairs while the people I am with use the elevator. I better get over that too cause if I wanna find a job in Manhattan I better strat using them or I may be walking up 100 flights of stairs. LOL...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm phobic of many things, particularly heights, elevators and going out in public!

It's hindered my life the past year and I don't know where to receive help now. I'm starting to wonder if theres any point!

yeah hate crowded shopping centres, i used to be ok with them when i was younger but especially hate them now.

hence why i cant really shop or I go at a time when there wont be a lot of people about or around.

Archived