Mental Health Forums

Rats Are Quite Interseting Actually...

LadyMacbeth

The other day I was watching this psychology program...it was interesting because they showed a litter of baby rats and when the researcher took the mother ray out of the cage the baby rats became distressed and the researcher took a paint brush and started rubbing the rats with it like the mother would protect its children. They did a test that showed if the mother had been taken away then studies showed that the rats had developmental problems. Rats who were more stressed seemed to have memory problems. The researcher put the rats in a large tub of water and put a little block in the middle. After repeated tests the less stress rats could eaily find the block to stand upon out of the water, whereas the stressed rats could not remember where the block was located. It was actually rather interesting.

My T told me about a study with mice...mice that get moderate exercise tend to eat less as opposed to those mice who get too much exercise or get little exercise. And the mice who get the moderate exercise are not eating less because they wanna stay in shape. They are not looking in the mirror thinking damn I have a sexy body!! Look at that ass! :lol::lol::lol::lol: its just the way it is!Same in humans. But coudn't

:trigger:

There is a quite famous psychology experiment done by Harlow and Harlow in 1958. They experimented on Rhesus mokeys. They deprived them of their mothers and used different types of surrogate mothers. The monkeys tended to go to the mothers made of cloth that they could hug rather then go to a metal mother that provided food. They also scared the baby monkeys to see what they did. The consequences of the experiments on the monkeys were terrible when they became adults, their behaviour was affected and their social skills.

Its an interesting study to read about but it may be triggering.

:trigger:

What about the Tin Man in wizard of Oz? Which mother did he hug?

Seriously, pretty cruel on the monkeys but I think the most interesting point is the one about traditional family values here. It doesn't matter who the parent figure is (mother, father, single mother, gay, straight, grandparent, adopted, cloth mother, paint brush, etc) as long as it holds and nurtures. Nuclear families are not the only families that work!

Archived