Mental Health Forums

Topamax

Missfit

Hi all, hope everyone is feeling ok today.

My question is to people on or that have been on Topamax. I currently take Lamotrigine 200mg, Cipralex 10mg & Sodium Valproate 1,200mg, but I seem to still get Depression alot & have problems with Binge Eating Disorder (Part of my Borderline PD I guess) am also Bipolar 2. How is Topamax for treating the depression, because I hear in alot it supresses appetite? I need to convince my Psychiatrist to give it a go!

Would it be best with Lamotrigine or swapped for? I don't really get side effects, maybe weight gain but then I binge eat, not sure if it's meds! Vivid dreams, maybe tiredness, but I don't know if it's the illness or meds or me being lazy!

Pls let me know experiences ! TIA

Hi Missfit, my psychiatrist speciafically perscribed topamax for my insane binging (unfortunatly I purge too:( ). I took it and the binging did go down a lot (not all but a lot). However I found my mind was surpressed. Struggling for words that use to come easy to me, misplacing things to the extreme. This is a super common side effect. I didn't find that it did any good for my depression, somewhat making it worse because I couldn't focus my mind.

It may be good for short term use to get into a habit of healthy eating.

Thanks for the reply, yeah even if I could use it till I got a grip on the eating cause I always feel more depressed never losing weight, or losing to gain again

• 1 month later...

Topamax is not guaranteed to make you lose weight, but I have suffered from chaotic bulimia in the past and it definitely stops the frequency of binges.

nuclearwinter x

Archived