Mental Health Forums

Citalopram

mrD

hi darren

how long have you been on them? i've been on them for just 5 weeks and at first i got loads of side affects with them,i started on 20mg but just been increased to 30 mg.

amy xx

hi,

i have taken both Celexa/Cipramil (citalopram) and its stronger chemical cousin Lexapro/Cipralex (escitalopram).(how to re-market a drug!! put 2 isomers in instead of one, and call it something else, but its twice as strong)

The only noticable effect either had was to give me 'the spinnies' and 'the zaps' side effect if i missed a dose.

i took each for over 6 months. i was cutting weekly, od'ing monthly- at least, and was on the top dose of both allowable outside a hospital setting.(2001-2003)

Interesting topic. i really do wonder do anti depressants - the ssri's / snri's anyway work once and after that have little to no effect?

As a sufferer of depression, i merely have to mention the word 'depression' and they've got their script pads out. I am amazed at the cost of some of these medications-to the health service & the 'taxpayer' (if you buy anything, you are a 'taxpayer') not to me, personally.

After 9 years on then, i quit in november 07 from a titrated dose of prozac-was free of the things for 6+ months, and went back to taking effexor in may due to my dads 1st anniversary/death of 2 friends.-i was a tad weepy in the office as i learnt of the death of an old good friend on my birthday morning. Naturally.

Again, i only feel it when i DON'T take 150mg a day (i am on 300mg- but 'm not letting my system get used to that)

Plus- the cocktail effect. i am rx;ed different 6 meds. i have just taken 4 of them('morning meds') -feel sick as a pig. effexor is a mild stimulant, all my other meds are sedative / hypnotic / opiate.

so i would need to be a good psychopharmoligist (sp?) to know the effects this mixture has on my body and brain.

all i an say is i feel like shite :) physically right now, after taking my meds - need more than a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

Peace out

Anne Marie

ps- if any anti-d has worked for you, for real, for definite id love to know ?

I am growing a little cynical about anti-d's, an would love to be told otherwise!

ive also been on both escitalopram and citalopram, and to be honest it had no affect, ive just come off and ive noticed no difference what so ever!

Thanks for all the comments, Noor u poor thing, u must rattle when u move, no seriously, i've had various different AD's in the past and maybe its different for everyone but i dont get much from any of them, unless i'm just immune, or maybe its because i've done so mucch illegal stuff b4 that i'm expecting too much...what does work, are there any success stories? Oh, and Amy i've been on these for about 2 months now, surely thats long enough to know if their gonna work...

Love and Magic to u all

Darren xxx

hi darren

i don't think they work for me either,as i self harmed whilst i've been on them and i get paranoid quickly,i've got to go back my docs in 2 weeks and tell her that i don't think there working for me.

amy xx

Amy, i'm going this thursday to see if i can change them, myDSH is gonna fax them and tell them she thinks i should change also, just so full of anxiety and cant sleep on them, i'll let u know what they prescribe me if they do..

Take care hun

D x

hi again you guys,

there is a site called www.askapatient.com

you just write in your drugs name- enter, and voila, you have about 1000+ peoples rating of the drug- between 1-5, their side effects, their good effects, how long they took it, diagnosis, age etc, what it was given for. and its anon.

its a great database to have a look and see how other ppl get on with their meds , plus you can add your own 2p worth- no registering, cost, nothing.

just a tip, because the responses on 1 med can be so wide and diverse. so if your dr is thinking of putting u on something, checking it out in this database can give you info, insight, and maybe a few questions to ask your dr, if you are unsure of anything.

peace

anne marie

ps- mrD, i was messing with X a lot in the late 90's. its what plunged me from a very good job, mother, wifey, good social life etc - to a pit of black depression to the point where i took a lethal od out of the blue. i meant it to be lethal, but my partner came home from work 2 hours early. i know i did my brain a bit of damage with illegals too.

Archived